Englander 30 NC Break in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
I installed a new 30 NC last evening in my shop and built my first fire. The entire building filled with an oily-smelling smoke that issued from the steel itself. I assume there are residual oils in the steel and paint that cook out.

If I was going to install one in a house I would build a fire in the stove outdoors and let it burn for at least a couple of hours. Without a flue it may not get hot enough to really burn off the oils completely, but it would have to help. If this was not feasible then I would open some windows and place a fan to create an exhaust path for the smoke and fumes.

I did mine in 3 stages, each fire getting a little hotter. It kept the smoke and stink to a minimum.

If one had some extra pipe the outside idea would be the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.