Englander 30-NC Burn Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Baffle boards arrived and installed:
upload_2019-2-13_19-32-28.png

And from the ashes of disaster grow the roses of success :)
upload_2019-2-13_19-32-39.png

Now you’re burning smoke!

Have your burn times improved? I suspect they have::-)

Have your burn times improved? I suspect they have::-)

I suspect also, but this is my first lighting since I got the boards installed. Will fill it up just before bed and see what surprises await in the morning. I've heard it's best not to use the keyhole damper with this stove but just let it do its own thing? Any opinions?

Try it as is, if it’s burning too fast then damp it down a bit. Trial and error.

I'm more concerned with improving the heat output than lengthening burn times. These stoves are made to put out lots of clean heat and burn times are sort of secondary.

I've got to admit, I would not have just stuffed it full and went to bed. You're dealing with a new stove now and it might get really hot on you. Expect it to behave differently than ever before.

The boards are required and it is very easy to damage them. Even if you don't hit them they will warp and fail over time so I'm intersted in the source of your new boards. How much $?

Get some damn paint on that thing! Rustoleum makes some decent high heat paint and sells it at home depot.

I suspect also, but this is my first lighting since I got the boards installed. Will fill it up just before bed and see what surprises await in the morning. I've heard it's best not to use the keyhole damper with this stove but just let it do its own thing? Any opinions?

Leave the damper wide open for now. Establish a baseline performance. The NC30 seems to be relatively controllable for a noncat.

I'm more concerned with improving the heat output than lengthening burn times. These stoves are made to put out lots of clean heat and burn times are sort of secondary.

I've got to admit, I would not have just stuffed it full and went to bed. You're dealing with a new stove now and it might get really hot on you. Expect it to behave differently than ever before.

Well, I had already tested it earlier in the evening to make sure setting the intake on low would work to get the fire under control. Did that when it hit 500F and rising for the first time. My stovetop thermometer has above that range marked "overfire," so I figured it was best to level off there. Besides, it was really a bit warm for a wood stove last night; I just couldn't wait to test it!

When I went to bed I had three large 20" splits in the stove, which was all I could fit (probably 20-30 pounds of dry wood), and it was running with lazy flames right around 300F. I checked it four hours later and found some wood still remaining, with the temperature down only slightly. In another five hours, when I got up for the day, the wood was all gone, there were just a few glowing coals, and the stovetop temperature was back to its lowest notch.

The boards are required and it is very easy to damage them. Even if you don't hit them they will warp and fail over time so I'm intersted in the source of your new boards. How much $?

Not sure if I can post a link here, but I sourced them on Amazon Prime from Lynn Mfg at $45ea. Not as cheap as some of the homebrew solutions I've seen on here, but I lacked time and knowledge to sniff out a suitable raw material I could cut and make work.

Get some ### paint on that thing! Rustoleum makes some decent high heat paint and sells it at home depot.

Heating season will be over soon, and that's definitely on my list of projects. :)

Well, I had already tested it earlier in the evening to make sure setting the intake on low would work to get the fire under control. Did that when it hit 500F and rising for the first time. My stovetop thermometer has above that range marked "overfire," so I figured it was best to level off there. Besides, it was really a bit warm for a wood stove last night; I just couldn't wait to test it!

When I went to bed I had three large 20" splits in the stove, which was all I could fit (probably 20-30 pounds of dry wood), and it was running with lazy flames right around 300F. I checked it four hours later and found some wood still remaining, with the temperature down only slightly. In another five hours, when I got up for the day, the wood was all gone, there were just a few glowing coals, and the stovetop temperature was back to its lowest notch.

So that meter with 500 as the max temp is for single wall stovepipe. If you use a stove top meter the "normal" range usually runs between 400 up to 650 and the NC30 really runs good at 700+. If you were running the stove at 300 it was too cool and likely producing creosote. You can keep using the stove pipe meter but the low/normal/hot ranges will be different.

You can only fit three splits?! I can put 10 in there. Mine are maybe smaller but still 5-6" across. I've actually weighed this to be around 50#. You must be only partially filling this thing. That will effect your burn times.

So that meter with 500 as the max temp is for single wall stovepipe. If you use a stove top meter the "normal" range usually runs between 400 up to 650 and the NC30 really runs good at 700+. If you were running the stove at 300 it was too cool and likely producing creosote. You can keep using the stove pipe meter but the low/normal/hot ranges will be different.

Hmm.... interesting. I'll try running it up to 600 or 700 tomorrow, when cold weather is in the forecast.

You can only fit three splits?! I can put 10 in there. Mine are maybe smaller but still 5-6" across. I've actually weighed this to be around 50#. You must be only partially filling this thing. That will effect your burn times.

I'm using big, rough wood. By volume a lot more would fit, but the shape prevents it in reality.

I'm using big, rough wood. By volume a lot more would fit, but the shape prevents it in reality.

Simple quick split in half and cram more in there.

And if I reload before bed I have to stay up for another 30 mins listening to music watching fire
or else i cant sleep. Its the perfect recipe for overfire. Stuff and sleep and wake up to glowing
smelly stove.

Pick up a handheld IR thermometer as soon as you get a chance to know how the stove is actually running. Those magnetic things are completely inaccurate (all the ones I’ve ever had, anyway).

While inaccurate, they are usually consistent. If you can calibrate yourself with an IR thermometer, you can glance at the needle position and ignore the printing on the stovetop unit.

450-650 as read with the IR unit is normal for me on my 30. My stovetop thermometer reads 450 when actual temp is about 550.

-SF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Highbeam