Englander 30 NCH questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fran35

Jan 10, 2011
PA
I just took delivery of my 30 NCH today. I threw 4 feet of stove pipe on it and started my first fire outside to cure the paint and diminish the smoking inside the house once it comes in. Well, I got a realy good fire going for about 30 minutes with the door cracked. However, every time I close the door leaving the damper all the way open, the flames go out and the temperature on the box drops down from 450 to about 300 and the fire smolders. As soon as I barely crack the door, the fire sparks up again with flames. I am confident the wood is very dry and there is a very bed of coals as well. Could this because it is 30 degrees outside and I only have 4 feet of stove pipe? Or am I missing something? Please bear with me as I am a wood stove novice and while I have read a good bit on here, I am learning. Thanks so much

I don't think 4' of pipe is going to give you a good draft. That's probably the number 1 issue.

I think you answered your own question. When you have this stove hooked up to a decent chimney, it will behave very differently. Just follow any manufacturer instructions regarding break-in. From everything I've read, that's one sweet stove. I'd like to find one myself. Have fun with it.

Once you get it hooked up to your regular flue pipe it will crank. I got my 30nc going 1st week in Jan. I cant believe I lived this long without it. You will love that stove and the heat it puts out.

burn it said:
Once you get it hooked up to your regular flue pipe it will crank. I got my 30nc going 1st week in Jan. I cant believe I lived this long without it. You will love that stove and the heat it puts out.

hooked mine up over MLK weekend and I dont know what I was thinking paying the city for my heat!! I had the same problem with my stove only it was hooked up to 15' of chimney liner. After a few burns its going good. The secret Ive been using is to not cinch the door all the way closed. Maybe some one can answer a better way and well both learn something out of this

Remmy122 said:
burn it said:

hooked mine up over MLK weekend and I dont know what I was thinking paying the city for my heat!! I had the same problem with my stove only it was hooked up to 15' of chimney liner. After a few burns its going good. The secret Ive been using is to not cinch the door all the way closed. Maybe some one can answer a better way and well both learn something out of this

This is exactly what I was doing. However, since I am only hooked up with 4 feet of stack and bascially curing the paint before it is installed, my problem may go away. Remmy122-have you though about bringing in outside air through the back fo the stove? It doesn't seem right that you should have to leave the door unclamped permanently to keep a burn.

Fran I warned in your thread last night that outside with a short pipe you would need to keep the door cracked to maintain enough draft to cure the stove. EPA stoves ain't a trash barrel. They need good strong chimney draft to burn right.

And you will notice that in the manual that came with the stove are instructions to keep the door cracked to get the burn rolling and establish a good draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.