Englander 30 vs. Summers Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry guys... I have a question that I kind of need to know asap..... with the englander.... if you put up WALL protection, what is the requirement distance from the wall??? Does it change from 7-8"

never mind last question..... I still need to be minimum 7 " to put blower on it....... duh!!!

IMG_1006.JPG

sorry I didnt get the pics started right away... at this point... this is the tile guy.... he has cut the carpet...... and framed in 2x6 for the base...... to the right of it all the way to the door will be tiled.... I found where I can order 3/4" Micore 300 but due to fact that once that would have been layed then even going with 1/4" durock on top which would have allowed me to keep everything flat (no need for a base to build up on) we would not have been able to open the front door.... so instead, I got the micore 300 locally...(cant believe I found it)
it was in 1/2" so we did 2 layers of that on top of the frame.... followed by 1/2" of durock........... Tomorrow he will tile it as well as the floor all the way to the front door on the right...
the door right next to the tile guy is our bedroom.... I am assuming even though the woodstove will be facing forward, away from our room... the close proximity to our door would allow for plenty of heat in the bedroom??? am i correct on this??? this is the whole reason I am doing this is for my wife so I hope the heats the room good enough for her.... behind me, (I took the picture) is a hallway leading to two bedrooms and a big bonus living room.... my hopes are that between fan on stove and the ceiling fan (not pictured) right above where I am standing taking the picture.... will be enough to push heat down the hall way.... I will take pics tomorrow of that... I should have done that before posting this... anyways... he finished today with the frame and topping it with the micore.... tomorrow he will tile and monday will grout.... ( he probably could have tiled today but his father in law is my next door neighbor and they wanted to go shooting.... LOL..... so more tomorrow.... below is a picture of what was completed today........

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1016.JPG

will post more pics tomorrow of the tile and the hallway I am talking about... I sure hope this works........

To get heat in the hallway, take a regular table fan or a box fan and place it on the floor at the far end of the hallway, facing the stove room. Run it on low speed. It will blow cool air toward the stove room which will be replaced with warm air from the same room. Try it, it works!

Reactions: PapaDave
To get heat in the hallway, take a regular table fan or a box fan and place it on the floor at the far end of the hallway, facing the stove room. Run it on low speed. It will blow cool air toward the stove room which will be replaced with warm air from the same room. Try it, it works!
Oh yes it works :cool: and works very well, with the 8" fan on the floor, on low, just inside the doorway of the BR at the end of the hall the upper half of the hall is like a big heat duct.
The temp in the hall ( where my furnace thermostat is ) is always about 5 degrees above temp in stove room, but you don't want to stand around in the hall with bare legs, cuz it's chilly down there :)

OK everyone... tile was layed today.... tomorrow the trim and grout gets done and then on the 19th the stove will be installed... just a couple of pics here as I was told
everyone would love to see them... so here they are.......

View attachment 93300View attachment 93301View attachment 93302View attachment 93303

OK everyone... here is the final product......(Minus the woodstove of course... that will be next week....)

IMG_1036.JPGIMG_1032.JPGIMG_1039.JPGIMG_1044.JPG
Hope everyone likes it... and thanks so much for everybody's help... this site is really awesome..... will try to get around to a few pics next week when the
stove is installed.... thanks everyone....

Why should t matter if we like it? It only matters if YOU like it, and if THE WIFE likes it. And any inspectors, insurance agents, etc.

It looks like a very posh and regal pedestal for a 30-NC though. Nice trimwork around the edges. I am doing a similar tile job in my house in a similar type weird area, also by the master BR door. The stove location should work fine for you for heating, though it might be tight for storing wood to throw into the stove on the tile to the right. That is why I am tiling around my stove pedestal here, so that I have a place to keep buggy and dirty wood to burn.

Why should t matter if we like it? It only matters if YOU like it, and if THE WIFE likes it. And any inspectors, insurance agents, etc.

It looks like a very posh and regal pedestal for a 30-NC though. Nice trimwork around the edges. I am doing a similar tile job in my house in a similar type weird area, also by the master BR door. The stove location should work fine for you for heating, though it might be tight for storing wood to throw into the stove on the tile to the right. That is why I am tiling around my stove pedestal here, so that I have a place to keep buggy and dirty wood to burn.

Ummm.. ok Stihl...... guess it dont matter if ya like it..... I guess it was just a figure of speech adding some text to the pics I posted....
anyways..... I agree with you on the need for stacking a bit of wood there... and I thought that was part of the reason we tiled it... but the wife has already
found other things to put in the area between where stove will be and the door.... LOL.... but RIGHT outside the front door will be a covered deck and to the right of
the door I will be building a rack to hold a sufficient amount of logs so we are not running to the wood pile in nasty weather every day.....
and for the record..... I DO like it.... and more important... SHE likes it.....

Beautiful job. Next week FIRE!

Reactions: Russ
I DO like it.... and more important... SHE likes it.....

Well, good show then! I also have a covered front porch and I cut a long pallet 2 feet wide and made a make-shift wood caddy last summer to store a 6' wide 4' high face of wood. I load it about every other week between rain and snow storms in the fall/winter from the cordwood stacked past the driveway on pallets and covered with tarps. From the porch it goes into blue Ikea bags and sits by the stove for burning. I go through about a bag of wood a day here.

Reactions: Russ
Status
Not open for further replies.