englander burn times 30nch compared to 13nch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greythorn3

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2007
Alaska
wheelordie.com
what do you guys estimate the average burn time is on a full load for these stoves?

30nch

and

13nch

?

What I consider my burn time in my 13 is: I load the stove with a good coal base and in 5-7 hours I can reload the stove with regular splits (no kindling) and she will fire right back up. That time frame depends on the species of wood of course and outside temps. I should also add that the 13 is not putting out usable heat that entire time. These are max times for me on average. I have seem almost 9 hours before but I need to work to get a fire going again, with the few coals that are left.

thats about what i was thinking 6-8 hours on the 13 with some birch / spruce / cottonwood combo

thats not to bad for a little stove.

GreyThorn3, What stove top temps are your running at during the later stages of the burn time? Like karotka said, is it usable heat, if the stove top is running at 300 degree for the last 3 to 4 hours, how much heating is it really doing? Im own a 30 and i am still learning its ways. Great question though.

still waiting for mine to come in, gonna install it this summer.

30 here. probably around 6-8 hours at 700 degrees on a full load. Individual conditions vary a good deal. I think my draft shortens my times a good deal. I easily have coals to relite long after the stove reaches 100 degrees.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
30 here. probably around 6-8 hours at 700 degrees on a full load. Individual conditions vary a good deal. I think my draft shortens my times a good deal. I easily have coals to relite long after the stove reaches 100 degrees.

Matt

whats the deal with your draft?

EatenByLimestone said:

Matt

Matt just to clarify, once you bring the stove up to temp ( 700 degrees ) it stays at 700 degrees ( approx ) for 6-8 hours ?? Is everyone experiencing burn times similar like this ?

Ozzy

ozzy73 said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Matt

Matt just to clarify, once you bring the stove up to temp ( 700 degrees ) it stays at 700 degrees ( approx ) for 6-8 hours ?? Is everyone experiencing burn times similar like this ?

Ozzy

No, I read it as, 6-8 hour burn time when the stove tops out at 700 degrees.

It will stay that high for 6-8 without a fan cooling the surface and a load of oak. If I have a box fan on it the burn time seems to go down... or maybe I just reload it more often because the temp is lower. I like it running hot.

I draft through a 25 ft. 5.5" Chimney. If it was shorter I think I'd get longer burns. I really have to watch my temps due to the draft and think I loose a good amount of heat up the stack because of it. If I load the stove with a mix of low btu hardwoods I've done the reload thing in as little as 4 hours. It all depends on what I throw in there. My piles are all mixed up, and I pull the heavy stuff out for overnight burns.

I think the real gem with the stove is it's capacity to hold coals and it's thermal mass. If your load is light you might wake up and find the stove to be 175-200 on the step. Inside there will be more than enough coals to get it cooking again in short order. This can work against you starting from a dead cold stove though... it takes a lot of wood to get it up to temperature.

If you want long burns, BB appears to be the king. He appears to be consistently pulling real long ones. He loads something like 3 logs on it and goes for 12 hours. I couldn't do that if I wanted... and I've tried.

Matt

BrowningBAR said:
ozzy73 said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Matt

Ozzy

No, I read it as, 6-8 hour burn time when the stove tops out at 700 degrees.

It'll do that too, when I have a fan on it. But the fan really drives the temp down. There are always coals left though.

EatenByLimestone said:
It will stay that high for 6-8 without a fan cooling the surface and a load of oak.

Nice.

I edited the last post, but you beat me to it. I added the part about the fan driving down the temps.

Matt

With a load of oak up to the top of the brick retainers mine tops out at seven hundred and change for a while and ten to twelve hours later when I get up it is at around 200 to 250. Hotter than the 90 degree air the old heat pump used to put out. If ya need more heat than that don't stay in bed as long as old retired farts do or move. :lol:

Everything about heating is gonna depend on what you are burning in it, how you burn it and how much heat your house needs/loses. Which will be different even between you and your next door neighbor.

That old guy in Virginny also says he keeps his glass clean. I haven't figured that one out either. :lol:

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
If you want long burns, BB appears to be the king. He appears to be consistently pulling real long ones. He loads something like 3 logs on it and goes for 12 hours. I couldn't do that if I wanted... and I've tried.

Matt

Clarification. That is three large rounds that fill the firebox when I do that. And so it doesn't throw the heat a lot of you guys need throughout the burn but does a consistent 500 or so for a really long time.

EatenByLimestone said:
That old guy in Virginny also says he keeps his glass clean. I haven't figured that one out either. :lol:

Matt

That glass has been clean every since I got rid of that "zipper" sticking up in the front bouncing air off the end of spits back into the glass. And plugged those holes that fed it. But that means you have to leave the primary air control open enough to compensate. None of this "fire the crap out of it and shut it all the way down stuff."

Oh crap! Now the "how did you do that?" Stuff starts again. :lol:

BrotherBart said:

Cool! I live for those threads! I'll start:

What is zipper air? :p

Matt

BrotherBart said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Matt

That glass has been clean every since I got rid of that "zipper" sticking up in the front bouncing air off the end of spits back into the glass. And plugged those holes that fed it. But that means you have to leave the primary air control open enough to compensate. None of this "fire the crap out of it and shut it all the way down stuff."

BB - Tell me about these mods and how you came to do them - if you would.

Thanks!
Bill

I can't speak for the 13 but I can get away w/ loading the 30 twice per day in moderate weather. When it is cold (single digits for highs) it gets 2.5 to nearly 3 loads per day.

I would say that the 13 would need to be loaded at least 3x per day to keep an easy restart possible.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.