Englander Glass Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleby

Feb 16, 2008
Eastern PA
So has anyone else ever had an issue with the glass on their englander getting perminantly hazy? It's not real bad but there is an area where the glass is somewhat cloudy. I whip it down is it is crystal clear until it dries and then it is hazy again. I've tried vinegar, windex. You name it. I have a feeling it is perminant. Could i have overfired the stove or something? Maybe the wife used a bad cleaner which I haven't asked?? Any thoughts?

Appleby said:
So has anyone else ever had an issue with the glass on their englander getting perminantly hazy? It's not real bad but there is an area where the glass is somewhat cloudy. I whip it down is it is crystal clear until it dries and then it is hazy again. I've tried vinegar, windex. You name it. I have a feeling it is perminant. Could i have overfired the stove or something? Maybe the wife used a bad cleaner which I haven't asked?? Any thoughts?

If you are using a liquid cleaner on the glass, the glass has to be really cool...I've heard that if the glass is hot, cleaners can "etch" the glass. To see if the haze will come off, after you clean the window the next time, dip your rag into some fine ash, and give the spot a bit of a scrub...the ash works wonders for cleaning off stubborn deposits.

I get just a little bit of a haze on the bottom corners of the glass, but for the most part it stays clean.

-SF

Third season and no permanent haze. The first year a difficult haze developed in the middle of the glass and I used the cream stuff for cleaning glass stove tops to get it off.

Thanks guys. Sounds like it may not be permitant then. Def. not cleaning while hot This happened after the last burn so for all I know I will burn it off when I crank her back up. Great stove though. A real work horse.

I use newspaper on the glass!

Papers are printed using graphite. (excluding the glossy type of paper)

Graphite is an abrasive as well as a dry lubricant.

You can use newspaper while the glass is hot or with glass cleaner when its cool.

You can also try 0000 steel wool lightly in a corner.

Give it a try and tell me what you think!!!!!! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.