Englander nc30 burning problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
have another question how does the air wash system work on the englander 17 vl , very fustrated at the moment , i had about ten fires in this think and they all do the same thing , i have it roaring with the door open , i keep it like that for ten to fifteen minutes ... close the door the fire dies out .

jnc1991, are you reading on the fresh face of a resplit piece of wood?

When you say 20%+ , how plus?

have another question how does the air wash system work on the englander 17 vl , very fustrated at the moment , i had about ten fires in this think and they all do the same thing , i have it roaring with the door open , i keep it like that for ten to fifteen minutes ... close the door the fire dies out .

Check if cracking open a window close to the stove improves the fire when closing the door. And try a fire with only splits confirmed to be below 20%.

What's the total length of chimney? Any bends? What kind of pipe (single, double)?

jnc1991, are you reading on the fresh face of a resplit piece of wood?

When you say 20%+ , how plus?

by 20+ I mean I was getting readings in the 20-25% range.

I just split some pieces and was getting 28-30%. Yes, I was checking surface of old splits.

Definite hissing sound going on in the stove.

Now to hope I can find some truly seasoned/dry wood before the prices skyrocket. :/

Unfortunately that is rather unlikely. Ask when it has been split and stacked. Should be at least one year and predominantly be ash. See if you can find lumber scraps and pallets to cut up. Consider also compressed wood logs like Envi-blocks or Bio-bricks to mix in with your unseasoned wood. Other option would be to find someone who is well ahead and to offer ordering 1.5 cords of green wood for 1 cord of dry wood.

Go for pine, pallets, etc.

You can mix it up and get by.

Reactions: jnc1991
In a 30, burn it North/South instead of East/West for a better burn with dodgy wood. That dog house air shooting between two splits on the bottom would incinerate anything.

Reactions: jnc1991
Unfortunately that is rather unlikely. Ask when it has been split and stacked. Should be at least one year and predominantly be ash. See if you can find lumber scraps and pallets to cut up. Consider also compressed wood logs like Envi-blocks or Bio-bricks to mix in with your unseasoned wood. Other option would be to find someone who is well ahead and to offer ordering 1.5 cords of green wood for 1 cord of dry wood.

A ton of lumber scraps around here....amish lumber mills!

Be careful with those lumber scraps. The 30-NC full of them WILL give you pause to reflect.

Reactions: Dix
A ton of lumber scraps around here....amish lumber mills!

I guess you lucked out then. (I am just turning green with envy, you know.) Pack those tight; those small and dry pieces can get the stove hot really quickly. Maybe mix in some of your not so dry wood.

Now to hope I can find some truly seasoned/dry wood before the prices skyrocket. :/

This, you will probably not find.

"pause to reflect" lol....I get the picture. Nearest fire station is about 10 miles away so thats wise advice.

Keep checking the chimney.

Welcome to the forums, by the way. You have almost passed your baptism by fire ;)

2nd year burner here and I can't stress enough. - WET WOOD IS THE PROBLEM. I ended up getting through last year mixing marginal wood with pallets and construction scraps. I remember the frustration well.

Reactions: bobdog2o02
Checking the chimney for accumulation. Good idea to do it once a month until you get familiar with burning and how much accumulates.

You can check craigslist for firewood, sometimes you find someone that switched to pellets and wants to get rid of their wood and its usually seasoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.