Englander paint curing - it stinks!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
Because the paint is still curing. Seriously it has been over a week and this thing can still burn my nose. I've had temps up to 725 a week ago. Now that I added the blower it only takes 525.

The blower makes all the difference in the world. I can now heat the house, over 3700 sq ft with just the Englander. Of course its only in the 40's right now but this is the first time I can actually get the temperature rise on the 1st and 2nd floor.

I used to be able to let the stove cruise at about 600-650 but now I am struggling to keep the stove top temp at 500 with the blower on high. Yes it is extremely dry wood, won't even budge the moisture meter.

Is it normal for the paint to take this long to cure? Do you guys normally run your blowers on high all the time?

Running the blower will make it take longer to cure the paint. Turn the blower off and burn a couple good raging fires. That should take care of it.

I think they stink, too...mostly because I don't own one (yet). :p Rick

I burned mine in outside plus it has five coats of Stove Bright on it from the repaint so I don't know how long one takes to cure inside or just the factory paint.

As to the blower I run mine usually at half speed, max, to roll hotter air off of it. But I am only heating 2,500 sq. ft. We heat our house. Not a barn. :lol: If you are going to run the blower all the time put the thermo on the side of the stove body in a spot where it is between the top of the fire bricks and the secondary manifold. That will be running pretty close to the actual stove top temp since it isn't insulated by anything.

fossil said:

Heck I was looking at a Liberty yesterday at the stove shop. I want one of them big hogs myself. Don't know where I would put it, but I want it.

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

Heck I was looking at a Liberty yesterday at the stove shop. I want one of them big hogs myself. Don't know where I would put it, but I want it.

I could put an Englander in my shop...but I'd have to cut it in half and weld it back together at half-size, or just decide to die in there. Maybe both. %-P Rick

My 13 "cured" after a couple of mid sized fires. Haven"t had any paint oder since.

BrotherBart said:
...Heck I was looking at a Liberty yesterday at the stove shop. I want one of them big hogs myself. Don't know where I would put it, but I want it.

You wouldn't know how to operate it...the door opens from the correct side. :coolsmirk: Rick

fossil said:
BrotherBart said:
...Heck I was looking at a Liberty yesterday at the stove shop. I want one of them big hogs myself. Don't know where I would put it, but I want it.

You wouldn't know how to operate it...the door opens from the correct side. :coolsmirk: Rick

No it doesn't. If opens from the left. >:-(

Webmaster said:
Turn the blower off so the unit stays hotter and cures the paint quicker.

My mind says yes, but my nose, throat, and lungs want are about ready to jump ship. I burned this baby two Sundays ago all day with the windows and doors open then after 3 days of constant burning and pure pain I thought it was done, but it stiill wreaks havoc on my respiratory system from time to time.

I think taking up smoking will improve my lungs here.

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:
BrotherBart said:

That's what I mean. But let's not turn this into a political discussion, or I'll have to use my magic powers to move the whole thing over to the Ash Can. :lol: Rick

Rockey said:
My mind says yes, but my nose, throat, and lungs want are about ready to jump ship. I burned this baby two Sundays ago all day with the windows and doors open then after 3 days of constant burning and pure pain I thought it was done, but it stiill wreaks havoc on my respiratory system from time to time.

You don't have any pets you haven't seen for a few days do you?

fossil said:
That's what I mean. But let's not turn this into a political discussion, or I'll have to use my magic powers to move the whole thing over to the Ash Can. :lol: Rick

I'll just move it back. :coolgrin:

Rockey - burn it, just burn it...it won't stink forever if you just burn it. I know I'm not a particularly reliable source of seriousity, but trust me on this one. Burn it. Rick

fossil said:
BrotherBart said:
fossil said:
BrotherBart said:

Me thinks those are the same magical powers that changed this thread heading and if I had to guess it was by BB. :)

Not me. I don't change nothin.

I hadn't even noticed he did that. Man, he's got some of those buttons figured out that I haven't even tried yet. Rick

fossil said:
Rockey - burn it, just burn it...it won't stink forever if you just burn it. I know I'm not a particularly reliable source of seriousity, but trust me on this one. Burn it. Rick

Dude, you just reminded me of one of the greatest verses ever. "Burn it up, lets go for broke. Watch the night go up in smoke" Name the artist???

Def Leppard.

Umm...Joan Baez? Marie Osmand? Oh, I dunno. :down: Rick

Rockey said:
BrotherBart said:
Def Leppard.

Lucky guess?
Mind is high on newly appointed power?
You Googled it?

I'm old. But I am still the best rock drummer in this town.

My "30" took a long time to cure. I probably had 10-15 fires before I stopped getting the paint smell from mine. I had a whole new system installed with 7' of new pipe and such so I don't know how much was stove vs other stuff. It was kind of handy though...The smell would remind me to go shut it down because it was up around 700 when the smell would occur. It is OK now unless I take it to a new High Temp.

Open the windows, get the stove 700 degrees hot, and get the stink over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.