Englander performance is unbelievable

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobUrban

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2010
Central Michigan
Just want to say thank you for all the help I have received here - most importantly reguarding the new stove choice. I have more work to do on my hearth due to the depth of the 30 vs. the VC side loader. I am putting tile in the floor in front of the stove to meet code and this weekend but...

You all kept a little of the truth under your hat(s) - Although I have not even fired this thing up to near potential I am so pleased with the stoves simplicity, performance and all around just "greatness" as compared to the old stove it is like night and day. I am in mid-michigan so it has not been real cold by any stretch yet but the past two mornings I have built small fires to take the chill off and this stove just plain rocks. With a small fire of dry junk wood(chunks and uglies) I get to 400 in no time, pump out tons of heat and this thing burns clean and hot throughout the cycle. I am not able to see smoke out the chimney after the fire gets going and dialing it in is a breeze with the simple intake control.

Fan is a little loud as mentioned here many times so I may upgrade to the flatter fan offered or just use my lilttle fan that moved air for me in the past when I want to watch TV or have company but beyond that I am overwhelmed with the simple performance.

I am in no hurry for the deep cold but know that I am going to be very cozy in here and have no doubt I made the best choice for my situation.

I will get photos up here after I finish the hearth expantion this weekend as I know we all like pics. I am extending the paver brick hearth to include an area to place wood indoors next to the 30 and, as mentioned putting some tile in the floor out front to meet code - but the stove is in place, burning well, and working better than expected ever in the shoulder season.

For those concerned, as I was, about going from 8" to 6" I am having zero draw issues even when it is above 50 degrees outside. My set up is 16' straight up through the house with the first six or so being 6" DBL wall Duravent stove pipe going into 8" TPL wall Duravent class A. And for those that are sceptical of performance upgrade being worth the cost and effort - I can say there is no comparison and I have not even burned off the new stove smell yet.

Sitting on 10 or so full cord of 2-3yr CSS ash, cherry and elm with plenty, plenty more to come. I am a happy camper and again just want to say thank you to Hearth members. This is a great place to get all the knowledge I have needed to become a safe, full time wood heat home.

Bob Urban

Reactions: pen
Ah another Dry Wood Happy Camper and what I have read , Englanders Quality is hard to beat.

Glad it is working out for you.

Wait until you crank it up to 600 - 700 range. Measured at the step in the top ( i'm lucky my IR and rutland mechanical agree with each other) You will swear you installed a small nuclear reactor.

I think that hearth for the Englander requires a minimum R-value that requires more than just tile over wood. I have forgotten the specifics but recall that my hearth doesn't meet the specs. Mine is tile over cement board over wood.

Great to hear that it's working well. I didn't think you would have issues. Straight up interior is the way to go.

Get that man a tee shirt (as soon as he posts visual proof of the install). We like eye candy!

Shirt? Did somebody say shirt?

Here's yer shirt.

englander-t-shirt-jpg.74043

No - not onto wood with the tiles. Not at all. I built my hearth from 100+ yr old brick pavers removed from the streets of my local city. They are mortered to dura rock screwed to the floor and wall with an air gap. The hearth is 3' deep and worked perfectly for my VC Defiant with its thin(front to back) profile and side door loading. The E-30 on the other hand is deep and front opening so I am cutting out the floor infront of the hearth and doing the whole Dura Rock grout thing. I just did not want to extend the bricks so far out into the living space.

Should be finished this weekend and pics to follow. Everything is to code and to satisfy my insurance agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.