Englander Xperts,need your help!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
Okay, heres the problem. I installed a brand new Timber Ridge 55tp22. I followed the manual/DVD to the letter. I have a super vent 4" going 2' horizontal thru the wall then 3' of verticle on the outside as per the instructions. Installed the OAK as directed also. Dry ran the unlight stove for 20 minutes as per the directions. Loaded the hopper with LG granules and hit the on button. She fired up and everthing went as it is supposed to. Now the problem, the stove is set up in a 15' x 15' insulated garage which is attached to my house. When I started the stove it was 56 degrees in the garage, and 30 degrees outside. The stove had been running on the 6 & 6 settings for 2 hours and the temp has gone up a whole 2 degrees to 58. Stand 2 feet in front of the stove and it is blowing a stong luke warm stream of air. If you go around to the vent, you can't touch it as it is really hot. If you go outside the vent exhaust is pushing all kinds of heat into the cold night air. This thing is supposed to heat a 2200 sq/ft area. I can't see how that is going to happen as it can't even heat a 150 sg/ft area. The 3 lower settings left on the factory settings are as follows: LFF-6 LOA-4 AOT-1. Anybody with Englander experience got any thoughts? Thanks

When I first installed my stove I was a bit shocked at how hot the stove was not. I was comparing it to the wood stove which would blow out very hot air. After the pellet stove ran for a few hours it did warm the room up pretty good. I too am also wondering about how it will work when it's below 32 outside which it hasn't gotten here. I will say that it does give off a warmth that is hard to describe. It's not hot like a radiant wood stove but it is a warmth that you will notice when you burn it more. I hope to hear from the more experienced pellet stove owners on this difference.

So the walls & ceiling are well insulated, and you have insulated garage door(s) with seals on the bottom, and you didn't open the garage doors while running the stove, correct?

macman said:
So the walls & ceiling are well insulated, and you have insulated garage door(s) with seals on the bottom, and you didn't open the garage doors while running the stove, correct?

Yes,Yes and Yes. Right now I am comparing this stove to the Propel insert I have which is keeping the rest of a 1500 sq/ft house @ 70 degrees as we speak. The little insert, running the same pellets, set on a 3 out of a possible 4 is putting out 2/3 rds more heat. Something just dosen't seem right with the Timber Ridge, which is physically twice the size of the insert. The flame seems low and looks like it is being pushed hard by the combustion fan.

Well, your PelPro on 3/4 of heat settings is running at a 75% of max. heat setting, and your Englander on 6/9 of heat setting is only at 66% of max. I am going to guess that the garage isn't as well insulated as the house, plus you're starting at 56 degrees. I'd try raising the heat to 7-7 or 8-8 for awhile.....see what happens. You might even want to put the fan up to 9 too (7-9, or 8-9 settings)

As for the 2 lower left buttons, they are only working when you are at heat setting 1 or 2. The far right (air on) should always be at 1, regardless of anything else.

See what the temp is coming out of the heat exchanger tubes with a thermometer. If is to low then i think it has problems. You should be able to touch the exhaust for a couple seconds without being burned. Seems there are plenty of issues with the englanders lately...

woodsman23 said:
See what the temp is coming out of the heat exchanger tubes with a thermometer. If is to low then i think it has problems. You should be able to touch the exhaust for a couple seconds without being burned. Seems there are plenty of issues with the englanders lately...

Kicked the settings up to 8 & 8 as Macman suggested. Took air temp after 10 minutes. Discharge air 3" in front of stove is 80 degrees.

rottiman said:
Okay, heres the problem. I installed a brand new Timber Ridge 55tp22. I followed the manual/DVD to the letter. I have a super vent 4" going 2' horizontal thru the wall then 3' of verticle on the outside as per the instructions. Installed the OAK as directed also. Dry ran the unlight stove for 20 minutes as per the directions. Loaded the hopper with LG granules and hit the on button. She fired up and everthing went as it is supposed to. Now the problem, the stove is set up in a 15' x 15' insulated garage which is attached to my house. When I started the stove it was 56 degrees in the garage, and 30 degrees outside. The stove had been running on the 6 & 6 settings for 2 hours and the temp has gone up a whole 2 degrees to 58. Stand 2 feet in front of the stove and it is blowing a stong luke warm stream of air. If you go around to the vent, you can't touch it as it is really hot. If you go outside the vent exhaust is pushing all kinds of heat into the cold night air. This thing is supposed to heat a 2200 sq/ft area. I can't see how that is going to happen as it can't even heat a 150 sg/ft area. The 3 lower settings left on the factory settings are as follows: LFF-6 LOA-4 AOT-1. Anybody with Englander experience got any thoughts? Thanks

Is the inpingement plate (baffle in layman's terms) present & installed correctly ? Sounds like the stove is sending the exhaust out way too quickly.

Tom in Oh

Arnold said:
rottiman said:

Is the inpingement plate (baffle in layman's terms) present & installed correctly ? Sounds like the stove is sending the exhaust out way too quickly.

Tom in Oh
Yes, the plate is in its brackets flat against the back of the stove as per the manual

rottiman said:
......... Discharge air 3" in front of stove is 80 degrees.

Well, that sounds pretty low to me. You might want to shoot an email off to Mike Holton at work ([email protected]). See what he has to say about it.

Or call the 800 tech number. If you ask for mike, and he's free, he usually will get on the phone w/ you.

After half hour on 8 & 8 shes starting to warm up. Discharge temp is up to 104 and the room temp has climbed to 68. Will give her some burn time and she if she gets better. Flame looks good @ 8, burn pot is about 2/3rds full of ash. Thanks for the help, all. Going from wood to pellets has been a learning curve for sure. This forum has been a immense help.

Glad to hear that things are warming-up there. Keep us informed.

Now that the stove is hotter, once the garage gets up to "normal" temp, you might try turning the stove back down a little and see what happens. I'd try 7-9, or even 6-9. See if it will maintain the temp you want.

BTW, how warm DO you want a garage???? Got a Porsche or a Lamborghini sitting in there? ;-)

Oh, and you need to post pics of the install, or we'll think it never really happened. :lol:

Ran it all night on 4 and the temp was 66 this a.m. The stove was placed in the garage and when you open the door into to the laundry room and the rest of the house it flows in. Actually, I have something better than the Porsche or Lambo, it is keeping my Harley nice and warm LOL. I think it will just take alittle while to get used to firing it. Thanks for the help Macman

I would also like to see a picture of your install .I am in the process of installing one in my garage .I am still waiting for the chimney .

Call tech support, they can walk you through programming the stove to burn hotter. They come from the factory in a lower burn mode, I had to do this with mine and it makes a big difference. And don't be afraid of running on 9/9 until the temp comes up.

rottiman said:
woodsman23 said:

Kicked the settings up to 8 & 8 as Macman suggested. Took air temp after 10 minutes. Discharge air 3" in front of stove is 80 degrees.

I have the Englander version of your stove. Temps are low with what you posted. Here's how I do it. I check with a digital food stem thermometer right at the point of the air coming out of the blower hole (I always use the same one the one on the left for consistency). I'd let it warm up for at least an hour or 2.

Here's what I get, I'd think you'd be somewhere close:
Heat Setting Fan Setting Bayou Okanagans Spruce Point
1 3 N/A 154 N/A
2 3 150 N/A N/A
3 5 158 N/A N/A
4 5 155 N/A N/A
8 9 183 200 193

Keep us posted if you find your problem. When my flame was really low it was because of the baffle plate not set in the clips on the back wall above the firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.