Englaner 30 vs More Expensive Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayu

Jan 15, 2009
North Central Maryland
I just bought an Englander 30 from Home Depot. But before doing so I check with a couple of my local fireplace stores to see what they offered. Everyone I talked to was $1200 to $1500 more for stoves from Regency,etc. So just exactly what did I give up by not spending the extra money? Looks? Effency?

Thanks for the info everyone. This is what I was looking for. Sounds like I made the right choice. I'm looking for heat output over beauty right now and besides, it's not an ugly stove either.

I too have a an Englander 30. The only thing I've noticed is that some of the paint near the chimney and ashdrawer has flaked off. Nothing terrible, just a minor nuisance. I will probably take care of it this spring when the stove has stopped providing us wonderful heat!

I recently picked up a used 30 and love it.

I finished installing my 30 almost exactly a year ago. Started burning it a little bit last year (didn't have much wood to burn), and have been using it for my primary heat source this year.

Originally, I wanted one of those more expensive stoves. A Quadrafire 3100 step top, to be exact. In the end, I bought the 30 because I just couldn't afford the Quad. It's the proverbial "wine taste, beer budget" scenario.

Knowing what I know now, even if I had the money, I would buy the 30 again. Hands down. It's a great stove, easy to operate, and it puts out serious heat.

-SF

I have a 30 also, what a heater. I don't even look at other stoves now. Ten out, 600 stove top, 350 flue,
heating 1700 sq. ft. easy with red oak, only heat in house. Don

Creek Burner said:
..So just exactly what did I give up by not spending the extra money?...

You gave up having a bigger hole in your pocket. Good choice. Rick

From what I've read on here, you purchased a damned fine, well made stove. If I didn't have to have such small clearance to combustibles, I'd have considered going with one. But, with the way my stove room is set up, I went with the Endeavor to get that 4.5" rear CTC. I think you'll be extremely pleased with the 30 based on the comments here.

I think Englander may be a little lighter on the steel side than other brands. 3/16" verses 1/4, or 5/16".

Basically you purchased a utilitarian heating appliance. It doesn't have all the fancy glove warmers, or ornate cast parts, or the beauty of soapstone. But it does have a great support line, a very good track record, and the ability to make satan yell "uncle". If you were looking for heat---you found it.

Unless its subsidized by the government...you get what you pay for. Englander is a black box that heats like hell. Maybe some of the tolerances aren't as tight as on some other stoves etc, etc.

Englander has proven to be a darn good stove. Oh sure, I can say I have a Lopi and somebody else has a Hearthstone or a Woodstock, in the end we are all just trying to stay warm.

You have a work horse instead of a Diva. I would be proud of it too.

BJ64 said:
Englander has proven to be a darn good stove. Oh sure, I can say I have a Lopi and somebody else has a Hearthstone or a Woodstock, in the end we are all just trying to stay warm.

You have a work horse instead of a Diva. I would be proud of it too.

Are you saying I have a DIVA?

I have the best of both worlds, the Diva (VC Resolute) and the work horse (NC-30). The nice thing about the diva is that I get to spend $40 a year to replace the griddle gasket, and another $30 every other year to replace the door, glass and damper gaskets. Next year I will get to pay about $300 for a new combustion package for the Diva to keep her running like the princess she is! I bought my "30" last year for $430 at a Lowes close out. It will need a good wipe down, vacuum, and maybe a door gasket next year for $15. There is something to be said about simplicity. I love both stoves but they are really completely different animals.

Congrats, :)

its 4° outside and 73° inside my 2020 sqft uninsulated ranch!

The 30 is a great stove you will not be disappointed.

In fact I was so happy with the Englander Stove Works 30, I bought a brand New 13-NC on the open market for $400!

I was torn between the blaze king classic and a 30. The reason I went with the king is the t-stat. I set my blaze king on 3 1/2 and my living room stays about 74 wether is is -65 or 40 outside. The only diference is burn time. The temp has come up about 90 degrees here in the last 5 days. It is now almost +40 and I am geting about 20 hrs out of a full box of birch.

ICY99 said:
Unless its subsidized by the government...you get what you pay for. Englander is a black box that heats like hell. Maybe some of the tolerances aren't as tight as on some other stoves etc, etc.

Just for reference, we are required to maintain all tolerances within 1/4" +/- and I can verify that we are always within that limit.

The difference in price mostly comes from the fact that our products lines are so streamlined that we can produce significantly higher quantities of stoves per day than probably almost anyone else in the industry.

Corie said:
ICY99 said:

Just for reference, we are required to maintain all tolerances within 1/4" +/- and I can verify that we are always within that limit.

The difference in price mostly comes from the fact that our products lines are so streamlined that we can produce significantly higher quantities of stoves per day than probably almost anyone else in the industry.

Interesting info, thanks! BTW, I did not mean to belittle Englander in any way. I have worked in many production environments and have seen the direct relationship between cost and tolerances. There are undoubtedly many factors in cost/price... volume being one of them as you said.

I had to chime in on this one. Just had to. I've been thinking about this topic for a while now. Last Feb I installed Englander 30 in my upper living room and a Jotul Oslo in my lower living room. The Oslo is a beautiful peice of work. Mahogany enamal finish, gorgious lines and perfect welds. HEAVY AS you know what and tight as a drum. It doesn't make noises when it opens and operated smooth as glass. Cost....about $2500. I needed a second stove for the 3700sf so I say the Englander on sale at Home Depot. How good can it be from Home depot I thought??????? The door makes a little news when you open it. Metal on metal sound. The air adjustment the same. It's matte black no special look. Weighs a little less the them the smaller Oslo if I recall. Cost......$670. The outcome after install. That darn England is one bad @@@ son of a gun. My wife and I both LOVE that stove. It is nothing more then a heating machine. A beast! It puts does twice the work that the little girl (what I call the Oslo now) in the lower living room does even though one is rated for 2000 (Oslo) and the other for 2200sf (Englander). Yes, the Oslo looks better but looks don't keep you toasty warm. The comparisons stop there. The Englander is a heater and an amazing one at that. So much so that the wife and I are considering losing the Jotul for a 2nd Englander.

Actually, at 455#, the NC30 tops the Oslo by 10 pounds. If you want is a simple, stout heater, I have no qualms recommending these stoves. Their not the prettiest to look at and have cut some corners, but not in critical areas. For day to day heat, they do a good job and have a very efficient design. The steel is thick and the firebox is fully bricked. As a cost savings measure, they have a simple ceramic board on top of the secondary tubes. Treat that with respect, it is fragile.

BTW, we are all waiting for the newest Englander to show up. (hint, hint) It should be a winner for the folks with small areas to heat.

BeGreen said:
BTW, we are all waiting for the newest Englander to show up. (hint, hint) It should be a winner for the folks with small areas to heat.

I'm still waiting for Corie's 4.5 cu ft offerings.

I wish they'd make an insert or hearth heater with a fire box the size of the 30. I get get one in a heart beat. :)

I wish they made one that top loads and has a grill option 4+ cu ft would definately be a plus.

neverrude said:
I wish they'd make an insert or hearth heater with a fire box the size of the 30. I get get one in a heart beat. :)
I'm already standing in line for a Englander Fireplace Insert with a 3.5 Cu. Ft firebox that would fit into my brick fireplace. If it stuck out 9" onto the hearth all the better. All they would have to do is modify the NC 30 a bit & add some surround panels. Note this would be one of a few only large Non- Cat inserts in the industry in excess of 3 Cu. Ft, wow what a unit to utilize in sub zero weather like were having now.

jacksnipe said:
neverrude said:
I'm already standing in line for a Englander Fireplace Insert with a 3.5 Cu. Ft firebox that would fit into my brick fireplace. If it stuck out 9" onto the hearth all the better. All they would have to do is modify the NC 30 a bit & add some surround panels. Note this would be one of a few only large Non- Cat inserts in the industry in excess of 3 Cu. Ft, wow what a unit to utilize in sub zero weather like were having now.

I agree, sticking out 9 or 10" would be great. I sent them an email last month asking them if they had any plans on making an insert the size of the 30 and their reply was “sorry no”.
Maybe if they see enough interest they’ll change their mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.