Englaner 30 vs More Expensive Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks is all you gave up.
The Englander guys build a great stove I have a friend that heats with a 30 and the only real thing (other than the door opening the wrong damn way. ;) ) is it doesn't look as finished as some of the higher priced stoves.

ICY99 said:
Corie said:
ICY99 said:
Unless its subsidized by the government...you get what you pay for. Englander is a black box that heats like hell. Maybe some of the tolerances aren't as tight as on some other stoves etc, etc.

Just for reference, we are required to maintain all tolerances within 1/4" +/- and I can verify that we are always within that limit.

The difference in price mostly comes from the fact that our products lines are so streamlined that we can produce significantly higher quantities of stoves per day than probably almost anyone else in the industry.

Interesting info, thanks! BTW, I did not mean to belittle Englander in any way. I have worked in many production environments and have seen the direct relationship between cost and tolerances. There are undoubtedly many factors in cost/price... volume being one of them as you said.

Definitely didn't take it that way :) Just giving the straight scoop!

BeGreen said:
The steel is thick and the firebox is fully bricked.

3/16" is thick? I don't know if it matters or not, but the other higher end steel stoves are 1/4- 5/16" steel?

After lurking here most of last summer and researching new stoves, I decided to go with the nc30 based on what I read here. Well I love this thing, it sure is an improvement over my old stove. I am so glad I didn't spend the extra money for one of the other brands I was looking at. One of the things I like most is that when I pull the pipe off to clean it, there is nothing in the pipe to clean out which is probably true for most EPA stoves but something I'm not used to.

Todd said:
BeGreen said:

3/16" is thick? I don't know if it matters or not, but the other higher end steel stoves are 1/4- 5/16" steel?

At the stove store the other day I took a look. The Lopi Liberty and the Harman TL300 both have 3/16" stove bodies. Some have 5/16" top plates but some are 1/4" like the 30. In fact a lot of them that offer both step top and flat top versions of their stoves use 5/16" for the flat top but 1/4" for the step top like the 30. Seems they use the bend for the step for structural rigidity.

Personally I don't care what stove anybody buys. :coolsmirk:

Todd said:
BeGreen said:

3/16 is thick enough if you know what you are doing with it. if you look at the way the stove is constructed the secondary manifolds also double as structural stiffeners leaving only a fairly narrow area of the sidewall not either insulated by brick or stiffened by the secondary manifolds. the tops are actually thicker 1/4 and with the roll top step up strengthened as well. can a 30 be busted? yeah , i suppose, but you would have to abuse it to do so.

MishMouse said:
I wish they made one that top loads and has a grill option 4+ cu ft would definately be a plus.

What is the advantage of the top load?

Ken

kenny chaos said:
Do you guys miss not having a flue bypass on the 30?

Nope. I have never had a flue bypass on any of the stoves that I have owned. The only moving part I want on a stove is the air control.

Edit: And a door.

BrotherBart said:
...The only moving part I want on a stove is the air control.

I dunno. I think it's nice to be able to open & close the loading door, as well. :coolsmirk: Rick

Thought of the door just as I hit "submit" but you were too fast for me. :red:

SlyFerret said:
What would the benefit of a bypass be on a non-cat stove?

-SF

SF, my Lopi Liberty has a bypass. It sends the flue gases from the firebox directly up the stack, rather than through the secondary airflow path. With the primary wide open and the secondary bypassed, it provides the greatest possible (least restricted) draft for startup. Once the load's fully involved, the bypass is shut and then the primary used to regulate the burn. Toward the end of the cycle I'll again open the bypass sometimes to facilitate getting a reload going quickly. My little Century in the shop has no such feature. Both stoves do their jobs nicely, just different designs. Rick

fossil said:
SlyFerret said:
What would the benefit of a bypass be on a non-cat stove?

-SF

SF, my Lopi Liberty has a bypass. It sends the flue gases from the firebox directly up the stack, rather than through the secondary airflow path. With the primary wide open and the secondary bypassed, it provides the greatest possible (least restricted) draft for startup. Once the load's fully involved, the bypass is shut and then the primary used to regulate the burn. Toward the end of the cycle I'll again open the bypass sometimes to facilitate getting a reload going quickly. My little Century in the shop has no such feature. Both stoves do their jobs nicely, just different designs. Rick

I concur. They must increase draft 300% which also helps when the coals have gone a little low and the stove wants to stall out without adding a bunch of small splits. Even my old non-epa's have a flue bypass. They're great for keeping the smoke out of the house when the door is open also. If it didn't have one, I'd a got the 30.

I do enjoy the bypass damper on my Endeavor. Makes cleaning a breeze, and it really gets your restarts up and running. No smoke in the house, either. Handy little feature.

Ken45 said:
MishM said:
I wish they made one that top loads and has a grill option 4+ cu ft would definitely be a plus.

What is the advantage of the top load?

Ken

Through the top load you can really stuff the thing full.
But, as you see I also asked for a grill option, which is a very good benefit for a stove.
Last week it was -36 outside and I was on the inside grilling sausages over a open wood flame.
Now, that is what I call an advantage. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.