enlighten a new wood burner with your wisdom... what do you wish you had known when you were new to

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
the title says it all.
what information, tips, tricks or secrets do you wish you had known from the get go about wood burning stoves/inserts?
i am getting my first wood insert(enviro venice 1700) installed on october 22nd, so i am looking to have everything ready and as much knowledge gained before the 22nd rolls around.
thanks

You are on the site for all the information you need. I think I read the headers on ever page (eventually) and made myself one educated consumer!

1) Hopefully your installer is a good one. My was 'certified' but I was on site looking over their shoulders the whole time and made sure things went like they should.
2) Things they may or may not do is to recommend an insulated liner. I strongly recommend insist on it. It will not only improve performance but also increase the safety factor because it's hard to guarantee the uninsulated liner will be fully up to code.
3) They may or may not recommend or install a block off plate. I strongly recommend insist on it. It will improve the performance of your insert.
4) Double check the manufacture's installation specifications and make sure they are followed to the letter. This is especially important regarding clearance to combustibles.

Then sit back, enjoy.

derwood said:
You are on the site for all the information you need. I think I read the headers on ever page (eventually) and made myself one educated consumer!

1) Hopefully your installer is a good one. My was 'certified' but I was on site looking over their shoulders the whole time and made sure things went like they should.
2) Things they may or may not do is to recommend an insulated liner. I strongly recommend insist on it. It will not only improve performance but also increase the safety factor because it's hard to guarantee the uninsulated liner will be fully up to code.
3) They may or may not recommend or install a block off plate. I strongly recommend insist on it. It will improve the performance of your insert.
4) Double check the manufacture's installation specifications and make sure they are followed to the letter. This is especially important regarding clearance to combustibles.

Then sit back, enjoy.

thanks for the info. i have been reading this forum but there is so much information that it will take some time to digest it all and retain it.
should i insist on a insulated liner even if i am keeping the existing 8" pipe and putting the 6" pipe that my insert uses, inside the 8" pipe?
as far as distance to combustibles, i made sure to read the users/install manual before the company came to look at my house. the guy told me he will not install it if i do not fix the clearance issues(i am adding granite to the hearth to extend it farther into the carpeted area.

One thing that would have been good to know over a year in advance of getting my new EPA stove is that I should have cut my wood over a year in advance of getting my new EPA stove! I've always been a cut-in-the-summer, burn-that-winter guy. Ain't good enough. That's why I had to burn branches the first year - scrounged dead branch wood was a lot drier than my splits. The nice thing is that I learned the top half of a standing-dead tree can often be ready to burn after a quick month or two of drying.

par0thead151 said:
the title says it all.
what information, tips, tricks or secrets do you wish you had known from the get go about wood burning stoves/inserts?
i am getting my first wood insert(enviro venice 1700) installed on october 22nd, so i am looking to have everything ready and as much knowledge gained before the 22nd rolls around.
thanks

These aren't things I learned the hard way, but many people do.

1) Have your wood split and stacked and in your shed no later that late spring for the following winter.

2) To the extent possible, gather your own firewood.

3) If you must buy firewood buy it as unprocessed as possible and however processed it is go ahead and assume that it is green.

4) Remember that wood heat predates civilization. It's not that complicated.

5) Remember that just because you heat with wood actually DOES mean that you're better than the people who don't.

Dry wood, in general, is not wood that has been cut log length and left laying on the ground. Not dead standing wood, not wood completely covered with a tarp or placed in a shed before drying. Dry wood is wood that is cut to stove length, split to size and piled outside to be exposed to the sun and wind for a year or more. Planning ahead solves most wood burning problems. Be safe.
Ed

If I'd understood that someday, it may be so difficult to care for stove (not to mention processing firewood), I may have focused on being more fiscally successful.
This is especially true because my body got older, much earlier than anticipated.

"what do you wish you had known when you were new to all this?"

1. I wish I had understood how wood can look dry, but still have enough moisture left to severely hinder a fire.

2. How moist wood can cause a fire to just sit there at 300 degrees no matter how much air you feed into it, even if there's a healthy-looking flame (to the untrained eye).

3. How to recognize what a properly burning fire looks like.

4. That a thermometer on the top of the stove is an invaluable tool to understand the fire - that the temp of the stove tells you as much as the appearance of the flame does.

I consider myself pretty lucky that I found hearth.com way before I even lit my first fire or bought my Oslo and so I avoided some pitfalls, but I did learn a few things that I would pass on to newbies.

Things I learned . . .

-- I wish I had cut and split my wood the Fall before I purchased the woodstove . . . instead of cutting and splitting it in the Summer before I bought my woodstove. This must be one of the most common mistakes . . . and a source of much frustration for newbies . . . and as it was I lucked out since I cut a lot of standing dead elm which burned pretty decently . . . just not as well as the wood I am burning now that has been cut, split and stacked for a year.

-- I wish I had known that the manufacturer's burn time figures and heating space specs are subjective . . . in the case of the burn time figures no one really seems to know what the definition of "burn time" is and as such that figure can be misleading . . . I understood this number to be the number of hours when I was getting meaningful heat from a woodstove (and I'm thinking most consumers think this too), but I now realize this could simply mean the number of hours for when the stove is putting out heat regardless of the temp, the time from first light to the coals die out or some other definition . . . and as for the figures for the heating size . . . one must remember that where I live, the insulation in my house, my house lay-out, etc. all has a major effect on how well the stove will heat that size.

-- I wish I had bought a flue thermometer right at the start . . . I had a stovetop thermometer which is useful . . . but my probe flue thermometer now gives me the second piece of the "burning" equation so I can burn more efficiently and cleanly . . . a mistake I rectified pretty quickly.

-- I wish I had realized that you don't need to sleep on the couch in front of the stove for the first few days . . . the woodstove will not blow up and the fire will not burn a hole through the stove if you're burning properly.

------

Mistakes often made by newbies

-- Pine is OK to burn . . . almost any kind of wood is OK to burn . . . it just needs to be seasoned. And don't worry, you will not burn your house down even if your father-in-law or neighbors tell you that burning pine causes chimney fires . . . however, you may grow bald and get old in time if you burn pine. ;)

--Fire can look really hot . . . and not be all that hot . . . you really need a thermometer to know how hot the fire is inside the stove. Just because there are lots of flames doesn't mean the fire is really, really hot.

-- You need seasoned wood . . . this is important . . . and equally as important is knowing that there is a good chance the "seasoned" wood you buy from a dealer isn't truly seasoned. Seasoned wood should ideally be cut, split and stacked for a year or so.

-- The key to preventing a chimney fire is to burn seasoned wood . . . and burn hot . . . which may sound bizarre . . . but many folks don't burn hot enough and this can result in creosote production, less efficient burns and chimney fires.

-- To get the most heat out of your fire you don't necessarily want to have a lot of flames in your firebox . . . at least with secondary combustion tech, the goal is to get things hot enough so your woodstove looks like the Bowels of Hell in the top 1/3 of the firebox, you see the "Northern Lights" or it looks like someone installed a propane burner in the top of the firebox . . . and the key to achieving these things is seasoned wood, burning hot enough and then turning down the air.

-- You can clean your own chimney . . . and in most cases do it cheaper and even better than some sweeps . . . you just need the gear.

------

Best advice I was given at this website: figure out the size of the firebox you need . . . and then go one size larger.

Bigg_Redd said:
5) Remember that just because you heat with wood actually DOES mean that you're better than the people who don't.

LOL

what exactly does the "blcok off plate"" do?

do i need a insulated liner if i am putting the flexible 6" pipe inside of the already existing 8" straight walled pipe that my current ZC fireplace uses?

is a flue thermometer realy necessary? i assume it would be easiest to install while the actual insert is being put in compared to once it is already installed

is there anything i need to pay special attention to when they are installing my ZC wood burning insert(enviro venice 1700)?
I have read the install manual and will read it a few more times before my unit is isntalled on the 28th of this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.