Enviro Empress?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
Went and picked up a ton of Western Elite Doug Fir pellets yesterday and took a walk around the showroom... the dealer has a used Enviro Empress in an off-white enamel finish...kinda nice. Another dealer sold it to some folks and promised it would heat 2400 sq. ft. which, of course, it didn't. So they traded it in after one month of use for a larger stove.

So how is the Enviro brand? I really like my St. Croix but it IS ugly (looks like the owner only in black face)... I can move that stove to my shop and put a newer stove in the house.

I can buy the Empress for $2300.00... it's a 2010 model I believe... how does that sound?

Welcome back to the forum, Krooser.

I would have NO problems buying an Enviro stove, and the Empress looks nice too. A good buddy of mine bought an Enviro Mini last winter, and loves it!

Enviro makes a great stove. I've had my Meridian for 9 years now and haven't had a major issue yet.

I just purchased the Enviro Empress and fired it up for the first time last night. The unit was overall quiet however there is an occasional rattle that I am going to try and fix. I dont know if the unit isnt sitting properly or what. I will adjust the feet at the bottom to try and get rid of the noise. Other than that, the stove works great. I also have a St. Croix Revolution that was unable to heat my 2500sq ft home hooked up to the furnace. The space heater sitting in the living room seems to work better. The stove looks great when compared to other stoves. Harman makes one similar however it is also much more expensive. The hopper only holds 40 pounds or so. Its not cold here in Michigan yet, but I am excited to try her out. I was using a 10,000 BTU kerosene heater last year and it did help to keep things warm. This unit is capable of putting out 30,000 BTU so it should do fine. I will offset the heater with my propane furnace probably. The unit seems to be well made and I am happy with it.

Looks good...

Looks good. But the curtains are to close for me.... Do you have it hooked up to a surge protector?? Already having owned a Revolution (Which BTW, I thought would have heated your home), you already know about the cleaning schedules and maintenance of a pellet stove.

You say 2,500 sq ft. But how old is the home? Is it well insulated? Good windows? Are you still going to use the Revolution?? Youy sais offset with Propane?? did you sell it? I am sure even if it didnt fulkly heat the house, that pellets are cheaper than LP.

Congrats... Sounds like your in a good place with the new stove. keep us updated on how well it heats your home?

Thanks guys. Yes the curtains are probably alittle close. I was just doing a test fire. I will move them away once I start using the unit. The outside of the stove doenst get that hot though, since there is a cast iron casing around the stove. I have not yet hooked up a surge protector...should I?

My revolution put out enough heat but the problem was that once I hooked it up to my existing ductwork there was not enough air flow at the registers. I used 12 inch round duct to connect supply and return air. The air at the registers was HOT but you could hardly feel it coming out. I believe the house was too spaced out, the long runs from the ducts caused problems. I tried adding fans and all kinds of things that made my basement look like a methlab. I finally gave up on the idea after spending A LOT of money in duct work fans switches and you name it. Now I just use the revolution to heat the basement which is the same size as the upstairs (2500sq). My house is new with good windows and insulation. I do have 9 ft ceilings though. The revolution would take half a day just to raise the temps a few degrees, and LOTS of pellets. Next I will build my own ductwork system for the revolution in the basement to spread the heat out more evenly.

krooser said:
So how is the Enviro brand? I really like my St. Croix but it IS ugly (looks like the owner only in black face)... I can move that stove to my shop and put a newer stove in the house.

I can buy the Empress for $2300.00... it's a 2010 model I believe... how does that sound?

Krooser you will probably not be happy. Enviro builds a decent enough stove. Your St Croix is 40,000 btu's at 83% efficiency. The Enviro is 35,000 at 75% efficiency. A difference between 33200 btu output and 26250 output. Take a look at a new Hastings for a few hundred more if you want a prettier stove.

Brad

juandigital said:
Thanks guys. Yes the curtains are probably alittle close. I was just doing a test fire. I will move them away once I start using the unit. The outside of the stove doenst get that hot though, since there is a cast iron casing around the stove. I have not yet hooked up a surge protector...should I?

My revolution put out enough heat but the problem was that once I hooked it up to my existing ductwork there was not enough air flow at the registers. I used 12 inch round duct to connect supply and return air. The air at the registers was HOT but you could hardly feel it coming out. I believe the house was too spaced out, the long runs from the ducts caused problems. I tried adding fans and all kinds of things that made my basement look like a methlab. I finally gave up on the idea after spending A LOT of money in duct work fans switches and you name it. Now I just use the revolution to heat the basement which is the same size as the upstairs (2500sq). My house is new with good windows and insulation. I do have 9 ft ceilings though. The revolution would take half a day just to raise the temps a few degrees, and LOTS of pellets. Next I will build my own ductwork system for the revolution in the basement to spread the heat out more evenly.

Ditto on the surge suppressor, definitely need one. For SAFETY sake, the curtains are awfully close ! Also if you
have not, please have smoke detectors,carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers . Stay safe !

and also be sure to get a surge protector with the proper specs for the pellet stove application.
just use the search function and several very recent discussions will show.
mine is in the mail from amazon. will have it before i have a stove. :)
should close on the house around the first though.(then can buy the stove) can hardly wait.

IronFire said:
krooser said:

Krooser you will probably not be happy. Enviro builds a decent enough stove. Your St Croix is 40,000 btu's at 83% efficiency. The Enviro is 35,000 at 75% efficiency. A difference between 33200 btu output and 26250 output. Take a look at a new Hastings for a few hundred more if you want a prettier stove.

Brad

That's something to think about although my stove can melt my face on #4 so maybe a smaller one would be good? Still haven't pulled the trigger on another stove... but I did fire mine up tonite.

krooser said:
IronFire said:
krooser said:

Brad

That's something to think about although my stove can melt my face on #4 so maybe a smaller one would be good? Still haven't pulled the trigger on another stove... but I did fire mine up tonite.

Krooser that doesn't sound like a bad price for an Empress. Check the website for its efficiency though. It's 83% also. I have the fpi empress and it has been problem free the last 3 seasons. It is a medium sized stove but really looks nice on the hearth. My biggest complaint is the hopper opening is too narrow for filling on the fpi. It does hold 50-55 lbs. though. The stove looks great in the antique chestnut finish. Happy burning!

The Radiator said:
krooser said:
IronFire said:
krooser said:

Brad

Krooser that doesn't sound like a bad price for an Empress. Check the website for its efficiency though. It's 83% also. I have the fpi empress and it has been problem free the last 3 seasons. It is a medium sized stove but really looks nice on the hearth. My biggest complaint is the hopper opening is too narrow for filling on the fpi. It does hold 50-55 lbs. though. The stove looks great in the antique chestnut finish. Happy burning!

I stand corrected. I pulled that 75% off Enviro's website. I was going to post the link and it now shows 83%. I don't know if I loaded an old website or Enviro just changed it.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.