enviro-logs, wood substitutes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2007
Chesepeake Bay
Had read of some inquiries about the brave new world of wood substitutes for wood stoves: biologs, presto logs etc. I bought some Enviro-logs at Home Depot in one of my midwinter meanderings. My thinking being that if somehow there were no more wood in the world, or no one to sell it to me this might be a good back up.
I will say that they seem to be as advertised. They appear to burn cleaner, longer and run much hotter than a comparable length of firewood. Little to no smoke either in the stove or out of the chimney. They burn evenly and reduce to little or no ash left in the stove as well. I estimate one log burned about 2.5 hours damped down and at about 450 degrees. They even have a nice wood look in the stove itself as they burn.. However, they do want to burn. I would not put more than one in the stove at a time, at least in a smaller stove like mine. The log did respond to damping down, though. So from the practical side they seem just fine.
From another point of view, though, they're just not the genuine article, kind of like polyester. Reminded me of why they're called "wood" stoves.
I think maybe as a backup, or for some unimagined emergency, for those on an environmental mission or those who watch BTU per buck very closely, they are something worth exploring. For me, though, I'll put them somewhere where I'll know where they are if I need them. Meanwhile, I'll just go out to the wood pile and get another armful of the real thing.

How much do those little buggers cost at the home centers, and how are they packaged? Are they sold individually or by the case?

I'm tempted to pick up a few just for the sake of having something that burns properly in my new stove. It's all I can do to get mine over 350. I had it ripping one night up over 600, but it took hours, and I had to load it way full.

-SF

They are sold by the case. I bought a case of 9, 5 lb. logs at Home Depot for 12.80. I don't know if they were on sale as they move stoves out and lawnmowers in, but the enviro-log website offers them at 29.99.

my home dept sells no stoves or wood stove friendly logs at all, i wish they did.

I stopped at two home depot's on the way to work. The first one had some great prices on Englander Stoves. $799 for a 30NC, $499 for the smaller 12 or 13 (I'm not sure which), but neither store had any of those logs. They had a whole pallet of those duraflame logs, but I don't want to put those wax logs into my stove.

-SF

burning anything but cord wood in a Jotul will void the warrantty you will pay a lot more per btu for some sort of compressed wood product then you will for traditional cord wood.

bio bricks are about same price around here and no mess and no creasote to worry aboute, my warrenty only says void onlly if over fired due to compressed wood product. i only use 1 to 2 bricks pr fire and burn bricks and a little wood. got my stove late in the season not a lot of good wood here bricks better way to go.......

I have those enviro logs...I break off pieces of them, wrap it in news paper and put it under the wood i want to start burning....they burn hot you dont even need kindling to start good size logs...

enviro logs are made from waxed fruit and vegetable cartons.
was told not to use in a catalytic stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.