Enviro M55 Cast Iron Inser is in......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No there isn't any dip switches or jumpers to increase the speed of the blower. I know the new Maxx(not the Maxx M) has a convection blower trim button on the control panel. Maybe with some bickering from the crowd of new owners something could be looked into.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease!

J-...Thanks. Yep, only a combustion and feed trim adjustment on the M55 Cast. This isn't a huge deal to me as I have a ceiling fan in the same room which really moves the air around. I could see in other situations people being pretty disappointed with the blower output. I'll have to email Enviro.
Flynfrfun

How do you get your light to turn red????? Mine is on green, is it the quality of your pellets that will set it???

Slick,
Before you turn the stove on press the fuel selector button. It won't allow you to change it once the stove is going, but will prior to starting it.
Flynfrfun

j-takeman said:
No there isn't any dip switches or jumpers to increase the speed of the blower. I know the new Maxx(not the Maxx M) has a convection blower trim button on the control panel. Maybe with some bickering from the crowd of new owners something could be looked into.

J: Isn't this a jumper?
Flynfrfun

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 344
flynfrfun said:
j-takeman said:

Flynfrfun

Yes it is, But what its for I don't have any info for it. In the past the jumpers were for different stove models and BTU output. It would change the feed times on the auger to allow more BTU on the larger stoves.

If you decide to move the jumper Please be sure to cut power(unplug it for a minute or so) or you could pop the board.

If anyone ever heres about powering up the blower, please let me know. I would be all for that, i don't care about the noise, i want to be warm.

You all really need to contact your dealer or Enviro-Sherwood Industries. Anything we could tell you would void your new warranty. Telling us doesn't get Enviro attention.

slick, How much area are you trying to heat and what brand of pellet are you using? Are you having to max out the stove to stay warm?

j-takeman said:
flynfrfun said:
j-takeman said:

Flynfrfun

Yes it is, But what its for I don't have any info for it. In the past the jumpers were for different stove models and BTU output. It would change the feed times on the auger to allow more BTU on the larger stoves.

If you decide to move the jumper Please be sure to cut power(unplug it for a minute or so) or you could pop the board.

Thanks J, I won't be messing with it until Enviro tells me what it is for.
Flynfrfun

Well if you really want full control of the blower? There is something you could do, But I would wait until the warranty has expired!

Purchase a 120v relay and a rheostat for the fan speed control. Wire the relay so it turns on with the original blower wiring. Wire the relay to 120v house current and install the rheostat between the relay and the blower. Once the control board turns the blower power on the relay will turn your fan on at the speed you have the rheostat set to. When the stove cools down the control will shut off the relay and the blower will go off. Pretty simple really.

So there are a few ways around this. But I don't recommend them as these stoves are still under warranty. But something could be done if you use some yankee ingenuity.

j-takeman said:
But something could be done if you use some yankee ingenuity.

Are there Yankees on this forum? :) Great idea J-takeman!!!!

Stay Warm,

AR

I am using a poor pellet, i tried the water test that everyone says to do, my pellets didn't dissolve. I have 50 bags that came with the stove though, have to use them up. I did buy a bag of better pellets to try, they seemed to work a little better. Sorry to bother everyone with all these questions but i find it helps me.

slick, Asking questions is how we all learn. So ask away! :) A pellet stove is a rather large learning curve. Most of use that have been doing it a while try to get as much info as possible to get a feel for the install. So many variables to look at. See we too ask lots of questions!

But the stoves performance is very dependent on whats in the hopper. So if the pellets you have now aren't the ticket save them for what we call shoulder season(fall/spring warmer days). Get some good hot pellets for the cold. You will be very surprised on how much more the stove will throw heat at you with a topshelf pellet. :)

flynfrfun said:
Turbo-Quad said:
... I like that rail idea but hate to think of the cost.

Turbo,
What did you mean by that part of your statement? The rail system is incorporated into the design of the M55. So there was no extra cost to the end user other than buying two pieces of angle iron and whatever it requires to get them to the right height.
Flynfrfun

Oh didn't realize that. Thought it was an optional accessory

Turbo-Quad said:
flynfrfun said:
Turbo-Quad said:
... I like that rail idea but hate to think of the cost.

Turbo,
What did you mean by that part of your statement? The rail system is incorporated into the design of the M55. So there was no extra cost to the end user other than buying two pieces of angle iron and whatever it requires to get them to the right height.
Flynfrfun

Oh didn't realize that. Thought it was an optional accessory

No problem, I was just trying to figure out what you were talking about. I think the M55 Cast Insert and the Harman Accentra Insert are the only two inserts that have this rail system...to my knowledge. The others, you have to pull out by sliding them. Depending on the hearth material and weight of the stove, this could be a real chore.
Flynfrfun

Just another quick question, when i turn my stove on I can't change my fuel type to red. Why is that????

To change the fuel type the stove has to be turned off and cooled to room temp(or until the blowers shutdown). Then just push the fuel type button on the control panel. It should step thru the range. Stop where you want it set at.

I tried that this morning when i turned it on but nothing happened. I turned the on bottom first then i pressed the fuel bottom and nothing happened. Its on regular pellets green.

slick said:
I tried that this morning when i turned it on but nothing happened. I turned the on bottom first then i pressed the fuel bottom and nothing happened. Its on regular pellets green.

Try what I said. Use the fuel type button first. The stove must be off. Once you hit the on button it locks the program into the selected fuel type. Stove off works/Stove on no work!

slick said:
I bought a M55 Cast, its my first pellet stove. My brother has an older style Enviro, he bought a few years ago. I`ve been comparing mine to his, i find his pushes more air than mine. I`m trying to heat a larger area than he is, i`m in the process of putting a ceiling fan up, hoping that will push some air around.
Is there anyway to adjust the blower

Slick,

I have the M55 too. So far, so good with mine. I'm heating 2300sf. Even though it hasn't been really cold, it's easily doing it's job. Personally, I'm not worried at all about the unit "not blowing out enough air". In my opinion, you're going to have to circulate the air with any forced hot air heat source that you may have.

My stove is in my living room on the 1st floor with the thermostat in an adjacent room set around 70 (I'm guessing because I'm still using the standard analogue Lux that came with it). Last night with lows in the 20's and a high of around 40 the stove didn't run all day, but came on/went off through the night as required and kept my upstairs at 68. The stove is set on heat level #2, but I do have a ceiling fan in each bedroom set on low and in reverse to help with air flow/circulation. I've always done this, even with my oil furnace and believe it helped with oil consumption as well.

So, if I were you, I wouldn't get too carried away with the amount of air being "blown out" of the unit. I'd hook it up to a T-stat, set it to the desired temp. and see if it performs the way you want it to.

Just my 2 cents......

NPCoot

Heating 1900sf with mine and yesterday it was 81F in my living room on heat setting 2. This is with it constantly running as I don't have it hooked to a thermostat. Outside temps were cold enough for me to see my breath. I'd have to guess mid-upper 30's. I'd have to say that without my ceiling fan in the same room, a lot of the heat would hug the ceiling and go upstairs. The nice thing about ceiling fans is that they pretty much make no noise.
Flynfrfun

flynfrfun said:
Heating 1900sf with mine and yesterday it was 81F in my living room on heat setting 2. This is with it constantly running as I don't have it hooked to a thermostat. Outside temps were cold enough for me to see my breath. I'd have to guess mid-upper 30's. I'd have to say that without my ceiling fan in the same room, a lot of the heat would hug the ceiling and go upstairs. The nice thing about ceiling fans is that they pretty much make no noise.
Flynfrfun

The ceiling fans and T-Stat make it real nice! I ran mine on manual for the first week or two, but it would get way too hot (for me) and was just wasting pellets IMO. So I hooked it up and run it in the Auto/Off mode for now. I will probably switch over to the Auto/Low mode once winter really sets in.

NPCoot

slick said:
I am using a poor pellet, i tried the water test that everyone says to do, my pellets didn't dissolve. I have 50 bags that came with the stove though, have to use them up. I did buy a bag of better pellets to try, they seemed to work a little better. Sorry to bother everyone with all these questions but i find it helps me.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, couldn't find anything using the search. What is the pellet water test and what is supposed to show? Thanks

Put a couple , pellets in warm water, they should desolve in seconds, if they don't their a low quality pellet. I tried the test on 2 different bags of pellets, one desolved immediately while the other one didn't desolve at all. Unfortunately I already have 40 bags of the poor quality kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.