Enviro or Englander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quartermoon14

Oct 28, 2008
Northern MD
I have narrowed my wood stove choice down to the Enviro Kodiak 2100 or the Englander 30-NC. As we all are these days, I'm on a budget. The Kodiak will be around $1750 and the Englander $999. What's curious to me is the Kodiak has a 3.1 fire box and the Englander has 3.5, however, the Kodiak claims 82,000 BTU and the Englander 75,000. Englander claims 1.6 g's per hour and Kodiak 2.9. Obviously I'm looking for a lot of heat, but want the stove to last. Any experience with either stove or company?

Well I knew it would happen someday. This should start a nice tinkling match between me and member sonnyinbc. :lol:

sonnyinbc has the Enviro Kodiak 1700 insert and loves it. I have the 30-NC and love it. The BTU numbers mean about 1% more than zilch. They are unverified numbers that the manufacturer claims that they obtained in their own burn lab testing. And to duplicate them in your stove you would need somebody standing there constantly shoving wood in the door. The GPH numbers were obtained in the EPA tests with controlled conditions and test wood loads. Either stove is a clean burner and those numbers don't indicate anything other than that.

Either one will make ya a great heater. I would burn in the Kodiak any day of the week. I wanted to look at them but the guy that was supposed to sell them locally disavowed all knowledge of them. I later found out it was because he had a warehouse full of Buck Stoves he was pushing.

I will have to defer to Brotherbart regarding the englander and the many other englander owners on this forum that really like them. If you are on a strict budget?--the price certainly fits.

This is my first year with the kodiak insert and this past week is the first week with frost at night, so my knowledge is somewhat limited. It is solidly built with 5/16 steel on top and rugged in every other way. Using kindling and smaller splits to start off I can get it hot in a hurry (15 minutes) stove top 500F. It actually is too much stove for the room it is in (15x26). If I light it up at 5pm-we are cooked out of that space by 8pm--room temp 80+. Thing is, I need that kind of room temp to get that warm air moving upstairs, and it does eventually. Using only softwood (douglas fir) we are thus far experiencing 7hr burntimes.

With a 3.1 cu.ft. firebox and burning hardwood, you should easily get 9-11 hour burntime. I can`t really add much more except to say that I find it extremely user friendly, and no doubt you will not be disappointed with the heat output. This is my first year with a epa insert and I couldn`t be more pleased. Hope I have been of some help.. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.