Enviro Wood Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sure sounds like wet wood. I load to the secondary bars. The ash should be very fine and white. You need to raise the fire box temps and slowly turn the air down. I remove ash every 2-3 weeks when it gets up to the door sill.

Uh oh. I was reading the thread on EPA 2020 certified stoves and didn’t see any Enviros. The Enviro website only lists gas and pellet stoves. Maybe this is only temporary as they rework their wood line. Or it’s a permanent shift...

So far Sherwood has decided to drop out of the woodstove market. Sad news, Enviros were good stoves.

I went on their website a month or so ago and also saw that they are no long selling wood burning units. I’m glad I bought mine when I did. I had a feeling this was going to happen.

Reactions: marty319
Definitely disappointing that Enviro is dropping out of the wood stove market, we looked hard at the Kodiak 1700 when we bought ours.

Lack of competition in the marketplace is never a good thing.

Reactions: marty319
I loved my kodiak 1700 step top.had it for 10 years but enviro was known for hard to get parts,i decided after they quit making stoves that it was time to move on,I bought the osburn 2300,only 1 little fire so far as it has been too warm

Darn. I love my Kodiak 1700 wood insert. We are moving and will be installing new stove in new house. Went straight to Wnviro website to look at a kodiak 1700 freestander. No more wood stoves! Crazy. Really too bad. Now what do I get?

Wow, that's a surprise. I'd probably go with a BK or similar if I had to buy another stove...something that gives a longer overnight burn...

In the meantime, my Enviro 1200 just keeps going...

Darn. I love my Kodiak 1700 wood insert. We are moving and will be installing new stove in new house. Went straight to Wnviro website to look at a kodiak 1700 freestander. No more wood stoves! Crazy. Really too bad. Now what do I get?

We took our 1200 insert with us when we moved...fireplaces were almost identical in dimensions. Can you take yours?

You will be fine with stove options but your screen name will be totally screwed up now. Don’t ask me for help with picking a new one.

• Haha
Reactions: stoveliker
You will be fine with stove options but your screen name will be totally screwed up now. Don’t ask me for help with picking a new one.
Ha ha ha!!! Yeah totally my name won’t work anymore. Darn it!!

Well I’ll just keep using the name. I’ve been away from the forum for a long time.

lml999 no I can’t take it with us. Good idea though. It’s the Center piece of our living room here.
And the new house has room for 3.0 cu ft free stander. I would’ve even gone with an Enviro 2100. Oh well.
I like the idea of catcstove maybe princess? But I’m also used to non cat stove and like the idea of warm flue temps all the time vs BK low temp at end of flue.
Maybe I need to start a thread for our build.

Reactions: illini81
It’s the focal point. Cant take it with us.

Attachments

• 3E2B053E-5001-49FA-868E-D54FE69762F5.jpeg
    3E2B053E-5001-49FA-868E-D54FE69762F5.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 168
  • C94B5B9E-C3E9-47CC-94A7-87EC980C9776.jpeg
    C94B5B9E-C3E9-47CC-94A7-87EC980C9776.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 170
I really miss my kodiak 1700.the osburn is okay but the enviro was a solid stove.

Attachments

• 20171110_154522.jpg
    20171110_154522.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: illini81 and Kodiak
lml999 no I can’t take it with us. Good idea though. It’s the Center piece of our living room here.
And the new house has room for 3.0 cu ft free stander. I would’ve even gone with an Enviro 2100. Oh well.
I like the idea of catcstove maybe princess? But I’m also used to non cat stove and like the idea of warm flue temps all the time vs BK low temp at end of flue.

We sold our old house to a builder. He didn't care what we left/took...house was bulldozed a month after closing. :)

We were fortunate...the stove fit right into the new fireplace....

Yeah, I was bummed to see that Enviro is getting out of the wood stove market. We've been really happy with our insert. There aren't a ton of N/S large-ish cast iron jacketed wood inserts. Hopefully all of us still burning Enviros will get a few more decades out of our stoves. Fingers crossed!

If those stove works for your space, and if you decide on noncat vs cat, check out the PE T6. We were going to take down some walls to try to fit a T6 free stander, but the project just got too complicated/expensive, and so we went with an insert.

I've said it many times, burned many stoves and sold a lot of stoves, the least expensive of the ones I've owned is my favorite the Kodiak 1700- She's about 12 seasons old, still original and going strong, only burn 1.5-2.5 cords a year. Its just easy to start, easy to burn.
My prettiest by far, my Oslo F500 Blue black, still my favorite enamel color too...

I've said it many times, burned many stoves and sold a lot of stoves, the least expensive of the ones I've owned is my favorite the Kodiak 1700- She's about 12 seasons old, still original and going strong, only burn 1.5-2.5 cords a year. Its just easy to start, easy to burn.
My prettiest by far, my Oslo F500 Blue black, still my favorite enamel color too...
Yup I miss my kodiak 1700,not terribly pleased with the osburn.it heats well but has some issues

Marty, what don't you like? I think its a pretty good stove for the money. Yeah, thought it was a heat beast too..
If I buy another wood stove, probably will be the Jotul Carrabassett, but I haven't seen a V2 one yet. We haven't been able to get many Jotuls this year..

Marty, what don't you like? I think its a pretty good stove for the money. Yeah, thought it was a heat beast too..
If I buy another wood stove, probably will be the Jotul Carrabassett, but I haven't seen a V2 one yet. We haven't been able to get many Jotuls this year..
I loved the kodiak .its the osburn I'm not too crazy about.i have some issues with the door handle seizing up weekly .I have to thread it in all the way and put anti seize on it weekly or the door wont close.if I loosen the door handle up 1 turn the door is not closed tight enough.dont get me wrong it's a great burner and nice looking as well .

Oh ok, haven't heard much of issues with the Osburn handles. Hope you get it right, yep good heater. Take care.

@stovelark, what touch-up paint would be best for the Enviro Kodiak insert, please? We installed one last year, and it's in good shape, though the air control knob is losing its paint. We love the insert and plan to use it for many years to come. I'd just like to have a can on hand that would be suitable for small touch-ups. Thanks for any information you can offer.

I think I’m leaning towards a non cat to be honest. But I’d like it to be fairly large wood box. 3.0 would be ideal. PE T6 looks great.

However I do like the look and performance specs of a BK Princess.

Having not used a cat stove before , is it possible to have it burn occasionally like a non cat stove? I mean can I have it burn for a shorter period and burn nice and hot with lots of flames ?

Our new house is a pretty tight modern build. Any things to consider with that ( other than OAK? ). It’s going into the living room that has 12 foot ceiling.

Duae, Any version of black high temp (I still prefer satin black from stovebright) will do. Just remember, when you repaint, it will stink a bit from the paint curing. Hope your Kodiak goes forever too.