EP-25 Fiber Board

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

acftmechus

Dec 7, 2014
NH
Can I burn with the fiber board removed? My second board cracked and wondering if I really need it. I am concerned about not reflecting heat away from the chambers but will it matter?

Thanks

The fiber board is used so that over time the flame/fire will warp the steel on the back wall and could damage the stove construction. The board helps to remove the flame and steel contact. I know it does not seem to be a lot of protection but it does help.

I have tried running without the fiber board also. Stove over heated and shut down. The fiber board reflects heat back to the window and also keeps heat going to the heat transfer tubes rather than escaping out the back of the stove, were the fan motors are and controller, which could be damages by excessive heat.
I know those darn fiber boards break with the slightest look sideways, I broke two. The last one I fixed by using this high temp gasket from McMaster-carr, https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/124/3649, item 9323K21, and high temp silicone. I "glued" the board to the gasket. added two new holes and screws. It provides better insulation and stays together now. I also made two notches at the top of the board so I can remove the impingement plate without removing the board.
I also use this material for all the gaskets around the motors and clean out plates.