EPA 2020 non-cats

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I’m curious how non-cat stoves were tweaked to meet 2020 standards. Is it that they just run a bit hotter? I ask bc I don’t see any technology differences between my non cat bought in 2013 and my brand new 2020 non cat stove ( regency 2450).

Some were clean enough already, no changes but new testing. Some added a cat. Some made a handful of non obvious changes. Some went off the market.

Regency added more defector above the baffle to get a little more retention time in the box for more complete combustion. It also makes them a bit more touchy as far as draft requirements

Some of the NC's (like the NC30) just added more air apparently...has 1 more secondary air tube than before

My model Osburn added more air, increased the number and size of holes in the 4 secondary air tubes (by my math like 50% more air). They also changed the primary air control to narrow the operating range, low output is now higher, and high output is slightly lower.

I wouldn't want to run the 2020 version of my stove on a tall chimney like mine, I think it would be hard to keep from overfiring, those new secondary tubes would inject way too much air into the firebox.