EPA Approved for Wood AND Coal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

21fred

Dec 10, 2006
Are there any wood stoves out there yet that are EPA approved for Wood and Coal?

EPA has never published standards for coal stoves. They are EXEMPT. Some jursidictions have outlawed EXEMPT stoves for permits because some folks (if you can believe it) actuallly burn wood in a COAL ONLY appliance.

SMK

There has been only one stove certified for wood that was also capable of burning coal and that is the Harman CW30 "E" which is no longer produced.

Unfortunately, all of the big manufacturers have decided there is not a market for this type of stove. I still think there is a small niche market for it, but I guess it isn't worth the time for the big boys. Perhaps one of the smaller stove companies should jump on it.

I think the thing prohibiting the smaller companies from trying though is the rather costly and time consuming process of actually getting a wood stove certifiable.

Thanks for the input. This is the same conclusion (to go with an epa woodstove) that I arrived at last year when looking for a stove. I just wanted to see if anything changed over the year.

Thanks for the info and the help finding the previous article.

stovemanken said:
EPA has never published standards for coal stoves. They are EXEMPT. Some jursidictions have outlawed EXEMPT stoves for permits because some folks (if you can believe it) actuallly burn wood in a COAL ONLY appliance.

SMK

I recall looking at one of the 'coal' stoves at Brunk's stoves and thought to myself, that it was a lot less money and what's to keep one from burning wood in it.

I opted to get the Isle Royale. The thought of buying the coal stove to burn wood did enter my mind.

By the way you can burn wood in a coal stove BUT don't burn coal in a wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.