Epa up and running.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Finally got the money for an epa stove to go alone with the wood furnace. First firing. Will get some more pic's only had time to do one. 10 foot of black pipe and 7 foot of s/s on the out side. 1.jpg Cathral rafters had to be move to but still done in under a day.
Total investment 879.00

Reactions: zap
Looking forward to seeing how you make out with that. My buddy has been using that unit to heat his house for several years and loves it.

pen

Reactions: smokinj
Looking forward to seeing how you make out with that. My buddy has been using that unit to heat his house for several years and loves it.

pen

I am guessing here but does everone just burn on top of the fire brick?

Only when the stove is fresh cleaned or new. Otherwise I try to keep a bed of ash on top of the bricks.

Reactions: pen and smokinj
Only when the stove is fresh cleaned or new. Otherwise I try to keep a bed of ash on top of the bricks.

Pretty odd for me. What it takes to get a hot fire for 6 hrs is what it takes just to start my furnace.

Pretty odd for me. What it takes to get a hot fire for 6 hrs is what it takes just to start my furnace.

Yep, one load in my stove is about one load in the same furnace you have. Difference is the furnace would burn 6-8 hours instead of 12-24+, depending on the weather.

My Dad has this stove and it cooks him out of the house. He's actually thinking about downsizing. Very impressive stove, especially when you consider the price.

My Dad has this stove and it cooks him out of the house. He's actually thinking about downsizing. Very impressive stove, especially when you consider the price.

Been watching it for 6 months now. Bought the stove for 250.00 the rest was the install.

Reactions: Jack768 and pen
I figured it wouldnt be long and you would fire it up. Your right about the startup, I know we have a furnace but it takes much less wood than our old. The splits I use now would have been kindling. After experiencing a EPA unit for the first time I was sold. Your shoulder seasons should be much easier, and your wood pile will thank you. It's also nice viewing the fire, enjoy that stove!

I figured it wouldnt be long and you would fire it up. Your right about the startup, I know we have a furnace but it takes much less wood than our old. The splits I use now would have been kindling. After experiencing a EPA unit for the first time I was sold. Your shoulder seasons should be much easier, and your wood pile will thank you. It's also nice viewing the fire, enjoy that stove!

I thought about up grading the furnace, but with my house and kinda weird lay out. The stove just made the most sence. Now I have heat at both ends. Bet that will eat some wood running both wide open. lol Hope I never have to!

I love our furnace, but would like the heat that a stove produces. A stove here just wouldn't make sense. It would be nice if the stove carried a bit of the weight and the furnace could be a back-up if needed. For what you paid for the whole ordeal, it's worth it. You would have been at least 3x's that if upgrading the furnace. Can't wait for an update next season.

Congrats J on the new stove...smiley.jpg
I look forward to reading your reviews of it.

Is that a stove from TSC?

Whooo Hoooo- your gonna learn to love the view.

Betcha the GF that "gets it" is gonna dig it too....she may "take over stove duty"....You may fight over who loads the stove...;lol>>

Is that a stove from TSC?

Yes it was.....It was in a funny location in the store cover mostly by 5 gallon buckets of hydro oil. Had to really be looking to find it. Seen 250.00 on the sticker and I grab it.

Betcha the GF that "gets it" is gonna dig it too....she may "take over stove duty"....You may fight over who loads the stove...;lol>>

Oh she been doing the work on the furnace. I cut split and stack it and its all her after that. I think after a season she will learn to love it....(Her 2nd season with the furnace)

Nice deal on that sucker!
thumb.gif

Let us know how you like it

Nice stove smokin, great deal too. Just make sure you don't over work the GF! !!
zap

I thought I recognized that stove. Very close cousin to the 2015 Magnolia. Works well and seems to be built as well as anything in its price point. I would be carefull not to overfire it though. I only had mine on line for a month and developed door seal issues. Whole front of stove warped in and would change flatness when it got hot. Other than that is worked well. I sold mine for nearly twice what you paid new so that was a smokin, hehehehe, deal. Probably would have been more proactive to fix problems but it was undersized for my application.

Nice stove smokin, great deal too. Just make sure you don't over work the GF! !!
zap

Thats her undertaking, but she's got a nice set-up. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.