EPA vs non EPA wood stove in shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW my neighbor had an old Garrison boiler plate stove in his wood shop, hooked up to stove pipe up through the steel side wall - very redneck - no inspector ever saw a bit of it. But it was a pretty big stove, and it ate anything and made heat almost instantly. throw a paint rag and some wood scraps in, or a fist full of baling twine, get it going and that place was warm fast. Had it glowing a couple times to no obvious ill effect. And air control was a couple vents that screwed down in the back - that stove would shut down remarkably fast.

it's not responsible stove management, but it basically convinced me a good boiler plate stove is indestructible without a cutting torch. Compared to the time I spent gradually warming my VC stoves, that's a way better plan for a shop environment. And they're around on CL for 50 or 100 pretty frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.