EPDM on shed roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hube2

Apr 1, 2021
NY
I have a shed that is 10x16 feet. It is almost flat, 2% slope just to allow rain to run off. The roof is treated plywood.

I am going to use EPDM to cover the shed. I am told that even with the plywood being exposed to the weather for a year that the adhesive will not stick to the plywood and that I should put a luan underlayment on first.

But here's the thing. It's just a shed and I really don't want to add more weight to the roof. All I want to do is keep the rain from dripping in.

The roof has been up and the plywood has been exposed to rain and snow for almost a year?

My main concern is keeping the wind from ripping of the EDMP. I get some pretty significant wind here. I see 40 to 50 MPH gusts regularly.

I also plan to use termination bars around the perimeter of the EDPM.

So my question is, while the adhesive may not work perfectly will the combination of adhesive and termination bars keep it from getting ripped off?

Last edited:
Moved to the DIY forum.

As someone who has done a few commercial rubber roofs and I'm currently living under one for the past 29 years.

I'll assume you know the basics on gluing a roof down in sections and proper folding and rolling out the sheet.

We never applied yellow glue direct to any plywood decking. It was always applied to insulation board (AKA homasote) that was screwed down to the plywood using the required washers. Such a small rubber roof will need to be fully adhered to the insulation board. Your plates (washers) will be on a 24" +/- grid or less. If it was my roof I'd be screwing them to the framing members only. This should provide enough strength to prevent wind from tearing off the roof. The insulation board really doesn't insulate but its soft so that any missed debris does not poke thru the rubber from the under side. It also helps protect the rubber from foreign objects from above.

Yellow glue does not like water and neither does the insulation board so you have one shot of getting it right.

Hard to go wrong with termination bar. Just be sure your trim is in good condition and pay attention to the folding of the corners.

There is no need to apply luan first and it will only add more cost.

How come rubber and not metal?

Obviously .06 rubber is better than .045 or .030 . I've never done a 03 roof and only a few 045's.

Reactions: ben94122
As someone who has done a few commercial rubber roofs and I'm currently living under one for the past 29 years.

I'll assume you know the basics on gluing a roof down in sections and proper folding and rolling out the sheet.

We never applied yellow glue direct to any plywood decking. It was always applied to insulation board (AKA homasote) that was screwed down to the plywood using the required washers. Such a small rubber roof will need to be fully adhered to the insulation board. Your plates (washers) will be on a 24" +/- grid or less. If it was my roof I'd be screwing them to the framing members only. This should provide enough strength to prevent wind from tearing off the roof. The insulation board really doesn't insulate but its soft so that any missed debris does not poke thru the rubber from the under side. It also helps protect the rubber from foreign objects from above.

Yellow glue does not like water and neither does the insulation board so you have one shot of getting it right.

Hard to go wrong with termination bar. Just be sure your trim is in good condition and pay attention to the folding of the corners.

There is no need to apply luan first and it will only add more cost.

How come rubber and not metal?

Obviously .06 rubber is better than .045 or .030 . I've never done a 03 roof and only a few 045's.

Thanks for the reply

The basics I have are what I read and seen in video. Most of what I've seen shows the EPDM being adhered directly to the plywood used on the roof. Most of the glues seem to be about the same stuff similar to this Amazon product ASIN B003VAXDSW
I am unfamiliar with homasote or its application, that seems to be a brand name for fiberboard. I may be looking at the wrong information because what I find is over 2 inches thick and weighs 5#/square foot. At any rate this is completely different than anything I've seen for using EDPM. I am not adverse to adding something as long as it's thin and light weight. Can you provide any links to this product and maybe how it is used?

Homasote, insulation board or fiberboard terms may be different in various parts of the country but we used is 1/2”. I’ve never seen rubber applied direct to plywood.
Firestone is what the guys that owned the company were using when I worked with them.

Not a good idea gluing directly to plywood, will also look like chit. Go ice shield and traditional shingle, or split sheet...

Reactions: Bad LP
Not a good idea gluing directly to plywood, will also look like chit. Go ice shield and traditional shingle, or split sheet...
X2, I put grace Ice & water over the entire roof of the shed. It is only 10x10 shed so it did not cost much and good 25 year shingles with a ridge vent and soffit strip vent of course and no problems! :)
Just added some rope lighting turned on by a motion sensor to see the door at night. :)

0994C466-4635-4712-BBE0-D54094E4E293.jpeg

Reactions: GENECOP and festerw