Epic Installation - I work behind this guy on a regular basis

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see something like a particulate filter designed to be outside of the home for some regions...maybe this was his prototype attempt to head towards fame and fortune and all the being green and here you guys are busting his onions.

Or maybe being the fact that he already almost burned down the home and came up with this for a solution without even a pipe with an exhaust outlet of any sort... this guy is a darwin but sadly will probably end up killing someone else.

He puts the DUH in Duhlinkwent.

This guy needs to be put out of business before he kills someone.

This guy takes the heat off Pook !

hey, thats my house

kidding

well carl thinks outside the box for sure

but seriously isnt there a company that makes a filter something like that
to keep the soot of the house?

ironpony said:
hey, thats my house

kidding

u mean something what dont look like a garbage can & is UL tested?

~*~vvv~*~ said:
while u peniuses gloat about your "wizdome", u fail to notice that the can acts as a spark arrestor

I'm sure I could find a better ways to arrest sparks.

firewarrior820 said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
while u peniuses gloat about your "wizdome", u fail to notice that the can acts as a spark arrestor

I'm sure I could find a better ways to arrest sparks.
such as?

People like Carl and installs like this are exactly why laws are so strict about install of gas stoves in your neck of the woods. If we don't watch out for the idiots like Carl we will have the state, county or feds stepping in to regulate pellet stove installs soon.

~*~vvv~*~ said:
ironpony said:
hey, thats my house

kidding

u mean something what dont look like a garbage can & is UL tested?

if i remember right it was a square housing like an a/c unit
and baffles and a filter in it
i cant find it again

balls of fire said:
People like Carl and installs like this are exactly why laws are so strict about install of gas stoves in your neck of the woods. If we don't watch out for the idiots like Carl we will have the state, county or feds stepping in to regulate pellet stove installs soon.
carl started as idiot from bad install but ended up as genius from improvized fix which needs another elbow for can exhaust

balls of fire said:

Already here dude. Massachusetts requires all instalaltion, outside of homeowners, to have a Solid Fuel License, workers comp, and HIC License. To get the License, unless you have worked for 3 years under another licensed contractor you also need to be NFI Certified or have taken 2 years vocational training in HVAC work.

I think Carl is still shooting from the hip.

<lowers head and shakes it slowly from side to side> I give it points for creativity. I give it more negative points for total lack of respect for the power of fire. I have to assume the the homeowners are less than literate for not perusing the owners manual diagrams and sort of doing a little comparison to see how something is just "not quite right".

stoveguy2esw said:
DUDE!!! thats unbelievable (i type as i wipe snorted coffee off my desk, man blowing coffee out through the sinuses hurts like hell)

what a "garbage" installation, looks like the house is "trashed"

As I'm taking the pictures the Husband says,m"You're not putting these up on the internet are you?" YES I AM!!!

His wife shaking her head in disgust..."see! I told you this was a bad idea! Let's get it fixed before you burn down the house completely!"

"Burn down the house? Honey, we haven't had a fire here is 6 years since Carl put in this can."

I'm going to install it above the roof in two weeks.

Here in CT, I pulled a pemit for my stove, installed it myself, and had it inspected. I fully believe in having it inspected, for safety and insurance, but its a bit over the edge with alkl the lisecence requirements.

Delta-T said:
<lowers head and shakes it slowly from side to side> I give it points for creativity. I give it more negative points for total lack of respect for the power of fire. I have to assume the the homeowners are less than literate for not perusing the owners manual diagrams and sort of doing a little comparison to see how something is just "not quite right".
AINT I GLAD BEN FRANKLIN HAILED FROM MAINE! can is almost genius & 6yrs in the bank is proof pudding. Now the guy will have to deal with pipe$ + cleaning costs/hassle. IF THE CONSTRICTION OF THE CAN RESULTED IN A DIRTY GLASS & NO CHANGE IN THE CO CONTENT OF THE EXHAUST, ITS A MORE EFFICIENT SYSTEM- ASK ANY PRESSURE COOKER.

~*~vvv~*~ said:
Delta-T said:
AINT I GLAD BEN FRANKLIN HAILED FROM MAINE! can is almost genius & 6yrs in the bank is proof pudding. Now the guy will have to deal with pipe$ + cleaning costs/hassle. IF THE CONSTRICTION OF THE CAN RESULTED IN A DIRTY GLASS & NO CHANGE IN THE CO CONTENT OF THE EXHAUST, ITS A MORE EFFICIENT SYSTEM- ASK ANY PRESSURE COOKER.

you're stopping short on the followthrough of the logic sir. saying "look its worked fine" in no way make it appropriate. There may be merit in certain aspects of the jury rigging, but that does not grant it any advantage over doing something the "proper" way. I can light a candle using the wires from my electrical outlet by just rubbing them together just right when the wick is between them. The fact that it works doesn't make it appropriate in any situation where the danger to others outweighs the "novelty" of the process. Ben Franklin ? Did he have a pellet stove? He came up with some great ideas for wood stoves and fireplaces...to my knowledge none of his ideas promoted venting exhaust too close to you house, too close to the ground, or to put a garbage can over your chimney. I too like experiments, but what these people have is just a hazard and time and Murphy will meet up someday, at their house and have a good laugh.

most posts have been negative thru not safe, not code, ugly, etc. 1 post axed for similar function gizmo ala UL which probly has screens that plug. whenever a statement is phrased in the negative it sez nothing as to why xcept for gloating the ego of the speaker....& 6 yrs functioning is proof pudding so i am thankful to carl 4 enlightening me
BTW BIC lighters use an electric spark to ignite

as a "spark arrester" the can is quite nice, and IMO, better looking than ye old pellet pipe, in that I totally agree. Its all the other stuff, code be damned, that could go wrong that I oppose.

I have yet to shock myself with my BIC, but I use the friction spark ones, the piezo electric can give a lil jolt though, thats fun for the whole family.

He is very lucky he didnt kill the whole family with this bit of Engineering.

BTU said:
EarthStove said:
the old ranger said:
This Carl guy is outta control and should find a different occupation, although from the looks of his work, and lack of common sense, what could he do?

Construction traffic control . . . naw . . .He would get "Stop" and "Slow" mixed up.

Elevator operator . . . . .nope . . . .He couldn't learn the route.

Anyone out there got any good ideas for what Carl could be retrained for??

I, also, would not have believed that install if pictures had not been included.

Federal government employee. He would fit right in.

Politician ….then he could justify charging $3.84 million for the install and call it stimulus money and hire 13 ½ people to do the work and make things “better”…Realizing that this also might qualify for a “neighborhood improvement project”, he might also be able to sneak another $6.45 million at it in case of the other neighbors’ needed a new install. Would use some of the same firms that did the “Big Dig in Boston”…we all know how cost effective and on budget that project was…..I think at final count, it was only over by about 3 times the originally forecast…..gotta love those government cost + projects.

Can’t you just see ol’ Carl ringing your door bell and saying “Hi, I’m from the government and I’m here to help you”……
penius! carl aint certified & as such didnt receive gov. $ ? SW may have though

Topshelf said:
He is very lucky he didnt kill the whole family with this bit of Engineering.
u call it luck, i call it proof from 6 yrs history of performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.