Epic Installation - I work behind this guy on a regular basis

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
correct! you may want, and it may be advantageous to have, but for pellet stove, one does not "need" a block off plate.

Delta-T said:
correct! you may want, and it may be advantageous to have, but for pellet stove, one does not "need" a block off plate.
warm air migrates up the chimni & condenses when it hits the colder brix, may result in mold & or freeze/thaw deterioration of the masonry

~*~vvv~*~ said:
Delta-T said:
warm air migrates up the chimni & condenses when it hits the colder brix, may result in mold & or freeze/thaw deterioration of the masonry

agreed, it could happen. probably does in some places. with the dist blower sucking air from all around the stove I kinda think theres gonna be a very small chance of that much heat really being left to rise on its own. I'd think it more likely that without a block off you could suck cold air into the fireplace from the chimney. i'd also think that OAK on insert, with no block off, would have higher potential for what you describe, but that dist fan might mitigate that as well.....hmmm. So many variable to consider....so few candy bars left in my candy jar....

Beyond the obvious it brings up some additional questions. Should there be more standards and certifications for the industry in general. My insurance company asked me if my pellet stove install was done by a "professional"? In the pellet industry this has no real meaning. I had an insured construction professional install the stove and vent and then a heating certified plumber completed the remaining work. Technically the work in the picture was competed by a paid "professional". As with my insurance company this would have met their requirements. I don't like to add regulations yet their are no local codes here for pellet stove installation's and no real standards except what the manufacturers want.

even if we didn't "need" more regulation in the pellet universe, i'm sure we'll get it. the fact that there is so much brainstorming that happens in a place like Hearth.com about things like OAK, and block off plates, and screening pellets, and various other things is a pretty good indicator that there really needs to be a more clear cut way of doing things. Full reline vs partial reline is another one. the way things are now, there are a lot of questions that arise from even basic things, and there aren't a lot of simple answers to those basic questions. A good many towns that require permits ask you all about your new "wood stove" and you say 'pellet stove' and they say "yeah, whatever, wood, pellet, same difference".

Wood Pellet User said:
Beyond the obvious it brings up some additional questions. Should there be more standards and certifications for the industry in general. My insurance company asked me if my pellet stove install was done by a "professional"? In the pellet industry this has no real meaning. I had an insured construction professional install the stove and vent and then a heating certified plumber completed the remaining work. Technically the work in the picture was competed by a paid "professional". As with my insurance company this would have met their requirements. I don't like to add regulations yet their are no local codes here for pellet stove installation's and no real standards except what the manufacturers want.
mfrs. specs prevail usually. installer in this case was liable but codes do change & mfrs have recalls especially when they conflict with ma nature's laws of science.

~*~vvv~*~ said:
a temp difference between 2 points results in air movement due to air buoyancy, worx 4 water also

assuming the system is static.

Delta-T said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
a temp difference between 2 points results in air movement due to air buoyancy, worx 4 water also

assuming the system is static.
inside of chimnigap is static & creating turbulence around the stove will raise the lower boundary of the static zone. gap will be warmer but brix will still lose heat to the outdoor & condensation still happens, accelerated at that

You folks are missing the genius that is Carl. What you are looking at is the next generation in particulate emission rectifiers. No soot, no sparks, no emissions. Simply fill a container with water, vent the pellet stove into the water which traps all the nasties and out comes clean, cool air. Carl's only failiing is in not ensuring a water tight container. This is in effect a giant pellet bong and it is Carl's singular genius.

solidus,

I believe that you are on to something here . . . . .

The situation is becoming clearer.

Carl, in his younger days, must have "smoked his brain" and the stress of a job recall caused the onset of a "flashback".

The solution that the voices in his head relayed was, "Carl, create a GIANT BONG.", and that is what he did.

Ranger

~*~vvv~*~ said:
& u dont need a blockplate @ the bottom of ur chimni! :roll:
violin.gif

Lmao. I believe that ^^ is calling trolling.

Nope my install does not need two block off plates. Here's
how I arrived at that conclusion.... I'm going into sixth yr with this pellet stove and I
burn it 24/7 so by now if there were any condensation happening it would have.
Brother observed inside last season and said it looked mint inside.
In other words, absolutely zero deterioration to inner clay liner.
In light of this, our determination is that the set up is A+ with
the one block off plate up top and a lower one would be a waste of time.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program about "Carl the magical stove man".

Damn, now that is what I call HOKIE

I have seen some really wild and wolly chimney installs but, that one is definately a one of a kind.

One good thing though the garbage can does keep the sparks off the pile of leaves.

I really can't believe anyone would charge someone to do this sort of crap.

Having had a few challenging installs over the years, I can see that come conditions warrant creativity but this is taking that premise a bit tooooooo far.

The only thing lacking here is some baleing wire and plumbers tape.

Probably has that inside where we can't see it. :grrr:

This would make a great "Red neck chimney cartoon"

Snowy

solidus said:
You folks are missing the genius that is Carl. What you are looking at is the next generation in particulate emission rectifiers. No soot, no sparks, no emissions. Simply fill a container with water, vent the pellet stove into the water which traps all the nasties and out comes clean, cool air. Carl's only failiing is in not ensuring a water tight container. This is in effect a giant pellet bong and it is Carl's singular genius.

"Cannonball!!"

Sits with head cocked slightly and large question mark perched over it too.

Complete wonderment.

What else does this guy do in the way of epic installs ??? or do I dare ask.

Does he do complete rewires on house remodels ??

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
Sits with head cocked slightly and large question mark perched over it too.

Complete wonderment.

What else does this guy do in the way of epic installs ??? or do I dare ask.

Does he do complete rewires on house remodels ??

Snowy
CAN u really judge without testing? or considering the specified facts , not excluding $75/hr fix, however paid & currently unanswered,?

yes I can

The picture speaks for itself.

Now there are always circumstances that warrant strange and unusual fixes to get it working, but that garbage can under a pipe is just way out in the Ozones.

Beyond even the wildest stretches of things.

Personally I would not even consider that sort of stuff the type of work anyone would have any business asking payment for.

Certainly no governing body that issues permits would allow that sort of stuff.

Just my Opinion for what ever its worth

Snowy

O.K. being a relatively new member, can someone explain this "vvv" fella? Feel like using the ignore option. That's rather bad on a wood burning/heating forum.

SKIN052 said:
O.K. being a relatively new member, can someone explain this "vvv" fella? Feel like using the ignore option. That's rather bad on a wood burning/heating forum.
"vvv" is a triple u, unlike a w, it has a specific sound [like the smack of a kiss] unlike a w which sounds like a u anyway. u can ignore whatever but it aint gonna expand ur knowlege base.................however so= keep asking questions,eh?

So being rude, obnoxious and all around PITA is acceptable around here? Good to know, I guess?

Nice to meet you VVV/UUU/WWW

Status
Not open for further replies.