EV Myths

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
Last edited by a moderator:
DANGEROUS IN THE SNOW’ AND ‘NO FUN’; FORD COMMITS TO EDUCATION AS SURVEY REVEALS MYTHS AROUND ELECTRIC VEHICLES

Seems somehow relevant:
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...y-reveals-myths-around-electric-vehicles.html
Apparently, 4 out of 10 Americans believe that EVs require gasoline/diesel to function.

Several people I have spoken to over 45 didn't know their phone was accessing the internet. One person specifically didn't know that Facebook was on the internet. I asked her how she uses the internet in the new house because I didn't see a router or modem or any means to access. She said she didn't use the internet, so I asked how she got on Facebook and posted photos.... I absolutely find it very believable that folks don't know much of anything about cars, as they don't know much about anything. I'm ranting now, so I'll just end it here.

Reactions: Ashful
DANGEROUS IN THE SNOW’ AND ‘NO FUN’; FORD COMMITS TO EDUCATION AS SURVEY REVEALS MYTHS AROUND ELECTRIC VEHICLES

Seems somehow relevant:
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...y-reveals-myths-around-electric-vehicles.html
Apparently, 4 out of 10 Americans believe that EVs require gasoline/diesel to function.

Wow. Today’s EV will outperform an ICE in almost every regard, except horsepower and range, at a given price point. The flexibility to put the weight where it favors driving dynamics, rather than where mechanical drivetrain constraints dictate it must be, likely provides the opportunity for enormous advantages in bad weather traction and performance.

Wow. Today’s EV will outperform an ICE in almost every regard, except horsepower and range, at a given price point. The flexibility to put the weight where it favors driving dynamics, rather than where mechanical drivetrain constraints dictate it must be, likely provides the opportunity for enormous advantages in bad weather traction and performance.
The potential of hub mounted motors for off road and motorsport use are amazing. Once people can become used to a different form factor for vehicles in general at least. Right now everyone gets too upset that the Model 3 has no grille. It doesn't have to look like a normal sedan at all, there's no limitations in the design, aside from those dictated by law of course. Imagine a tractor without a giant long hood obscuring your view, no differential right under your ass, and silent operation. I'm not too fond of the sound of my tractor screaming away at 2000 RPM to be honest, but I do need that speed for some stuff. I feel like the applications are endless, once electron storage improves. I'm already liking the electric turbos filtering down to automakers from F1. That's just a stopgap for better storage.

So true! Although I suspect tractors like yours and mine will be late on the transition schedule, due to one primary factor... lifetime. We may keep cars 10 years, on average, but most of us will keep a tractor 2 - 4 times that long. I don’t want to be dealing with battery obsolescence issue for what I still consider a once-in-a-lifetime purchase.

Of course, the big boys with large-scale farming will transition at least a decade before those of us with 20 - 60 HP landowner-grade CUT’s.

Last edited:
So true! Although tractors like yours and mine will be late on the transition schedule, due to one primary factor... lifetime. We may keep cars 10 years, on average, but most of us will keep a tractor 2 - 4 times that long. I don’t want to be dealing with battery obsolescence issue for what I still consider a once-in-a-lifetime purchase.

Of course, the big boys with large-scale farming will transition at least a decade before those of us with 20 - 60 HP landowner-grade CUT’s.

You are absolutely right. Once battery tech becomes cheaper it would be fun to convert an old beat tractor.

While were at it, end subsidies for Corn and Ethanol fuel. Even though Ethanol is considered renewable. Cheap corn syrup sweetener also wrecking the american diet making fatty animal products artificially cheaper than healthy alternatives. Resulting or at least partly responsible for the obesity epidemic. Creating another multibillion $ problem. Subsidies seldom improve on normal market forces and usually end up making things worse.
https://grist.org/food/our-crazy-farm-subsidies-explained/

Subsidies seldom improve on normal market forces and usually end up making things worse.
It’s human nature, too easy to play fast and loose with Other People’s Money (OPM). Subsidies can be a great tool, when change is needed, and the leap from here to there is too far for the free market. But opportunities for corruption, and the massive overhead created by attempts to quell that corruption, make for a very inefficient use of our dollars.

I like that all or most of those being aimed at EV’s are temporary with defined expiration dates, but I’m believing what begreen posted there, I have not confirmed it myself. I do know the big one in the USA, the EV tax credit, applies to the first 200,000 EV’s sold by a given company, which seems an enormous number to someone who’s used to driving vehicles produced at a rate of less than 3000 per year. I know that EV’s are selling as well as they are in Europe, because they’re not faced with the staggering taxes applied to ICE’s, imposed by most European nations. But that is also a temporary situation, those gub’ments want their money from Musk, too.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
You are absolutely right. Once battery tech becomes cheaper it would be fun to convert an old beat tractor.
Age has converted me into what most of my fellow americans have been for awhile (Not those on Hearth though).I just want to get on the thing, turn the key and get results.No longer change oil and work on the vehicle fleet anymore,have a good mechanic for that.

Reactions: SpaceBus
It’s human nature, too easy to play fast and loose with Other People’s Money (OPM). Subsidies can be a great tool, when change is needed, and the leap from here to there is too far for the free market. But opportunities for corruption, and the massive overhead created by attempts to quell that corruption, make for a very inefficient use of our dollars.

Yes that s where it all goes wrong ,like the Jonestown flood tax i suppose.

The potential of hub mounted motors for off road and motorsport use are amazing. Once people can become used to a different form factor for vehicles in general at least. Right now everyone gets too upset that the Model 3 has no grille. It doesn't have to look like a normal sedan at all, there's no limitations in the design, aside from those dictated by law of course. Imagine a tractor without a giant long hood obscuring your view, no differential right under your ass, and silent operation. I'm not too fond of the sound of my tractor screaming away at 2000 RPM to be honest, but I do need that speed for some stuff. I feel like the applications are endless, once electron storage improves. I'm already liking the electric turbos filtering down to automakers from F1. That's just a stopgap for better storage.
Volkswagen is experimenting with this idea on their new iD platform. They've made a prototype dune buggy reminiscent of the old VW Beetle buggies.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Volkswagen is experimenting with this idea on their new iD platform. They've made a prototype dune buggy reminiscent of the old VW Beetle buggies.

Oftentimes long travel suspension has issues with driveline binding, axles, etc. This does away with half of the articulation issues. You have complete suspension freedom! I love it.

Where’s @woodgeek been? I need him to tell me how to get Uncle Sam (or Willie Penn) to kick in on the cost of a new Volvo plug-in hybrid.

Where’s @woodgeek been? I need him to tell me how to get Uncle Sam (or Willie Penn) to kick in on the cost of a new Volvo plug-in hybrid.
Last seen here Sept 8...

Howdy Ashful .... the rebates change all the time, google is your friend.

Randy, did I hear that The Great Cheeto was rolling back Ethanol subsidies?

** Insert broken clock analogy here **

Reactions: bholler
Randy, did I hear that The Great Cheeto was rolling back Ethanol subsidies?

** Insert broken clock analogy here **
A couple things, the standard was raised from E10 to E15 in June, but then recently lots of small refineries got a pass.

While were at it, end subsidies for Corn and Ethanol fuel. Even though Ethanol is considered renewable. Cheap corn syrup sweetener also wrecking the american diet making fatty animal products artificially cheaper than healthy alternatives. Resulting or at least partly responsible for the obesity epidemic. Creating another multibillion $ problem. Subsidies seldom improve on normal market forces and usually end up making things worse.
https://grist.org/food/our-crazy-farm-subsidies-explained/

The decision to subsidize either methanol or ethanol was made when the price of natural gas was horribly high.
The subsidies are supposed to help minimize the price swings that most commodities experience. Guarantees the too-big-to-fail farmers don't.