Evaporate Water for Humidity - Pacific Energy FP30 replaced Woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bman42

Aug 9, 2021
Erie,PA
Replacing my QuadraFire woodstove with a Pacific Energy FP 30. Can't wait to see how it does this winter!!
But had the realization I can no longer constantly boil water on top of the woodstove anymore to help with house humidity.
Does anyone do anything or have a clever way to still heat water in front of a zero clearance fireplace for added humidity?
Thanks!!

We just use an electric humidifier. I know this won’t work in a power outage though but it works well otherwise.

Reactions: bman42
I'm a guitar maker so controlling the humidity is a big deal for me, I'm always fighting it in my woodshop and house. I have two ultrasonic misters one in my shop and one in my house when the woodstove is running( which is all the time) I use a old fish take but a plastic tub will work and made a large humidifier with a 3 head mister and a fan. It will go for days before having to refill.

I honestly don't believe that stoves cause many of the humidity problems assigned to them, and especially not newer stoves in newer homes. I'll allow a huge exception to the luthier above who needs very stable temperature and humidity, but for the rest of us, if boiling water is needed, it's likely a symptom of another problem.
Stoves don't remove moisture from the air, an inefficient stove or fireplace may draft so much room air that the infiltration of cold dry winter air causes the same end result, but in a well sealed house with an efficient stove, you shouldn't need to add more moisture, assuming you breathe, cook or shower occasionally. Spend some time and effort in air sealing and you'll waste far less energy boiling water.

For leaky homes, older stoves or other climates, YMMV, but I've disconnected the humidifier in my home and have never missed it.

TE