exhaust fan squeals or screeches at start up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quickrch

Hearth Supporter
Mar 28, 2009
Northern, VA
I think my exhaust fan is getting ready to give up. When I turn off my stove to clean it my exhaust fan has trouble starting up. First it wont turn, then it starts with a woa woa sound. Then as it gets moving it squeals or screeches for about 10 seconds before it gets going.

I don't think the avalon astoria fan is servicable. Does anyone know of ways to fix or lubricate this fan? Or should I just get a new one for when it goes?

Just went through the same thing a few weeks ago. Order a new fan motor, but don't toss the old one. Bring it to an Auto Electric shop that will change out the bushings in the motor. Cost me under $20 and my guy said he wouldn't have fixed the motor if it wouldn't go for another few years. I'm running the repaired motor right now with a "new" replacement for a back up if/when it craps out.

I second the rebuild and if you are reasonably handy, you can do it yourself. I've never tossed a drive or motor. just rebuild them.

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
Status
Not open for further replies.