Expected Heat Cycle Time Buck Stove Model 80

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
"Clear choice" is the 3 tons of NIELS I have for this winter....and something to take the bark off..
20181130_202333.jpg

....and something to take the bark off.
62.7%, that's enough bite to take the bark off. You'll just have to bite the bullet. ;)

Reactions: BKVP
There is a 3/4 empty lot behind my house. The owner has just let it go wild and over 25 years, hundreds of "Trees of Paradise" have spread everywhere. Some 3' across.

The land owner had all the trees dropped and posted "free firewood"

Truck after truck has pulled up over past few days jamming beds full.

I walked over the fence and said "you know that is real crappy fuel and it's green as grass." He told me he had a stove "you can burn anything in, an Ol' Buck 91"! I said...have at it! My old silver maple was finally better than something!

Reactions: bholler
People around here view Gum as junk wood, I burned it for years, just gotta know when to split it. Good filler wood for Oak.

Sweet or Sour. The Sour does okay at least for me. But not that much around these parts. Even less of the Sweet, a coastal plain tree. Silver maple leaves too much ash for me. Kevin

Start collecting now, you can never have too much wood. After you've been at it a few years you'll be able to forecast much better and will have a solid long term wood processing, storing, seasoning plan together.

People around here view Gum as junk wood, I burned it for years, just gotta know when to split it. Good filler wood for Oak.
Sweet or Sour. The Sour does okay at least for me. But not that much around these parts. Even less of the Sweet, a coastal plain tree. Silver maple leaves too much ash for me.
We have Sweetgum and Blackgum (Black Tupelo, Sour gum) here. I never messed with it much after reading that it was hard to split, but the little Sweetgum I did seemed to split OK. I think it dries quickly, which is what the OP needs right now.
I've just grabbed Black Cherry, or some Red Maple if I run across it, for mid-BTU wood. And there's plenty of Pooplar, which I've mainly split to kindling size so far.