Experience/opinions on Englander 17VL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
Considering it for a small 15x17 room on second floor.
It only weights #230 and if I remove door and bricks I can carry it myself

Anyone know if this thing is any good ?

How does it compare to the 13 NC ?

No experience with either, yet. But the new 13 sitting in my garage is small, tiny, and cute. I'm only heating roughly 100 more sq. ft. with it (eventually), and I'm glad I picked this one up vs. waiting for a 17. But the area is totally uninsulated, and will have to combat 2 bad windows, and 1 leaky door. You can always build a smaller fire, tough to go the other way.

SmokeyCity said:
not a bedromo, -its a TV room about 15 x 17ish with 3 big drafty windows
Englander claims the 17-VL will heat 800-1200 sq.ft. Is some heat from your 30 getting upstairs, and only the drafty room is needing heat? 17-VL might be overkill unless there are nearby rooms that you need to move heat to. Can you stem the air leaks around the windows, or put plastic film over them?

Woody Stover said:
SmokeyCity said:
not a bedromo, -its a TV room about 15 x 17ish with 3 big drafty windows
Englander claims the 17-VL will heat 800-1200 sq.ft. Is some heat from your 30 getting upstairs, and only the drafty room is needing heat? 17-VL might be overkill unless there are nearby rooms that you need to move heat to. Can you stem the air leaks around the windows, or put plastic film over them?

I have put up plastic over them but it is a less than perfect insulator

Status
Not open for further replies.