Extra charge for the Rockland surround?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbookzz

Sep 20, 2008
SE Michigan
I've gotten quotes from both of my local dealers for a Jotul Rockland insert. Both of them want to charge $500 for the cast iron surround! I'm not talking about the optional extended surround back plate. I know that would be extra. Either I have talked to two clueless salesmen or I look very gullible. Please tell me that I'm not crazy for expecting a complete unit for the considerable cost of this Jotul.

Looking in the manual for the Rockland, it says that the surround kit is packaged separately, but it doesn't say you purchase it separately. But neither does it list the components of the surround package as part of the equipment.

Also, is it normal to purchase a chimney liner "kit" or to buy the flexible liner, cap and everything else separately?

Extras,extras. You might want to check that the blower and the door is standard and not an option? Wish I could say that I`m kidding, but I`m not. Many places sell the above mentioned as options. Whatever you do, choose well, cause you will be looking at it for the next twenty years or so.

Welcome to the forum. :)

The door was an additional $280 on my Ultima ZC Fireplace too. Blower was another $200. Always something.

If this insert saves us 25% of our present heating cost, it will take 8.5 years to pay for itself. And that's subtracting $1000 of the cost of the insert, since we would need to buy a screen or door for the fireplace anyway. And I didn't add in the cost of wood, chimney cleaning, my time and labor, or replacement parts.

I know gas will continue to rise in price, but I don't think the savings I might get with the insert would justify being cheated by a dealer. I'm amazed that the people on this forum seem to accept gouging as something almost cute.

You want us to send our boys over and beat up your dealers for you? There's a whole lot of great information available here on this forum from a broad spectrum of woodburning expertise and experience, but there isn't anyone here who can correct something that you perceive as some sort of personal injustice inflicted by industry pricing or greedy dealer practices. What would you have us do for you? We want to help you in any way we can, but we're mostly just woodburners who gather here to talk about the Wide Wonderful World of Woodburning, with a few professionals sprinkled in to keep us on our toes. The people on this forum are people just like you...nobody wants to be a victim of price gouging, nor see it happen to anyone else. Are you sure that's what this is? The specific cost benefit analysis of your particular personal situation is something you have to figure out. There are folks here able and willing to help with stuff like that, as well as stove sizing, style, configuration, installation, etc., etc., etc., ad naseum. But to show up out of the blue and in your second post tell all of us that we think you or anyone else being cheated and gouged by a dealer is "almost cute" is, in my mind, a bit over the top. Why not take some time to get to know us before you start to characterize us? Welcome to the Forums! Rick

Stock is more than likely limited at this point in the year, but if you send me a PM, I will give you the name of the dealer I bought from in Toledo OH (cost me $50 to drive there and back). In my case, on the Pacific Energy T5 it was a saving of $700 ($1700 vs $2400) over my local dealers and he had it right there on the floor to pick up. But that was back in June, now is not the best time for getting the most competitive price.

Starbookzz said:
I've gotten quotes from both of my local dealers for a Jotul Rockland insert. Both of them want to charge $500 for the cast iron surround! I'm not talking about the optional extended surround back plate. I know that would be extra. Either I have talked to two clueless salesmen or I look very gullible. Please tell me that I'm not crazy for expecting a complete unit for the considerable cost of this Jotul.

Looking in the manual for the Rockland, it says that the surround kit is packaged separately, but it doesn't say you purchase it separately. But neither does it list the components of the surround package as part of the equipment.

Also, is it normal to purchase a chimney liner "kit" or to buy the flexible liner, cap and everything else separately?

I wasn't asking for anyone's help, thank you. I was asking a legitimate question for this forum--whether the surround is included with the Rockland or not. Maybe someone with actual knowledge will let me know.

Starbookzz said:
I wasn't asking for anyone's help, thank you. I was asking a legitimate question for this forum--whether the surround is included with the Rockland or not. Maybe someone with actual knowledge will let me know.

I paid $2300 for the Rockland in June, with the surround, plus $100 for delivery. If you are paying more than $2600, you are getting jacked. Feel free to PM me. It is a nice insert.

I don't know the answer to your question. Did you call other Jotul dealers to see if this was an add on? Try asking the 550 owners here directly with a PM.

KeithO said:
Stock is more than likely limited at this point in the year, but if you send me a PM, I will give you the name of the dealer I bought from in Toledo OH (cost me $50 to drive there and back). In my case, on the Pacific Energy T5 it was a saving of $700 ($1700 vs $2400) over my local dealers and he had it right there on the floor to pick up. But that was back in June, now is not the best time for getting the most competitive price.

Keith is right. I don't know about that exact stove the guy wants but there are several people here on the forum still having to wait for stoves they already paid for last summer.

It is a seller's market right now - provided they have anything left to sell.

Starbookzz said:

If you aren`t asking for help? Then why are you here. my, my but ain`t you a happy camper?

Knowledge is of two kinds=you know a subject yourself, or where you can find knowledge upon it =Samuel Cooper.

You know, rockland is not the only stove in the world, just like the mustang ain`t the only car in production.

As rude as you are, I will give you this advice--look and look again before you put your hard earned cash down :grrr:

I bought mine in December got it in May, it came with the surround. I think I paid $2400 plus delivery and set-up. The flue liner was about $300, I needed that as my flue was 10".

Purchased our Rockland in January and had it installed in the end of February. When we were getting prices the dealer just told us how much the whole thing would cost and did not mention separate prices for the surround. When the sales bill was printed up it was itemized separately for the stove and the cast iron surround. $2262.09 for the stove and $280.85 for the cast iron surround. I am not sure why it is itemized separately, if you buy the Rockland you have no choice but to get the surround it is required for the stove. Maybe they are going to come out with different choices for surround designs in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.