F 500 V3 Oslo CF

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I expected the catalyst to have bigger cells. That looks like a normal cat. Not even a flame shield though. Hey, if the whole bypass operation can be skipped and the stove can be operated like a noncat then great. Much simpler. I’m willing to let a forum member test it out! Stove looks great.

The whole waiting for a certain temperature before swinging a second lever thing is a lot to ask of the typical casual burner. It’s like driving a stick shift. Easy for those of us that do it without thinking but put a millennial in there and she will cry.

First fire won't be for a while, have to file building permit, attach connector, do something about floor protection for my side load door . I'm thinking I'll be ready some time in October lol

That's about the time I'm expecting to get mine in and fired too.

tick

tock

tick

tock

Reactions: Sailrmike
Is there a thermostat anywhere in this stove? What about a place to turn the stove down? I must be blind. Surely there is a place to turn it down.

Is there a thermostat anywhere in this stove? What about a place to turn the stove down? I must be blind. Surely there is a place to turn it down.
There is a lever under the door above the ashlip.

I expected the catalyst to have bigger cells. That looks like a normal cat. Not even a flame shield though. Hey, if the whole bypass operation can be skipped and the stove can be operated like a noncat then great. Much simpler. I’m willing to let a forum member test it out! Stove looks great.

The whole waiting for a certain temperature before swinging a second lever thing is a lot to ask of the typical casual burner. It’s like driving a stick shift. Easy for those of us that do it without thinking but put a millennial in there and she will cry.
The cat cells are actually HUGE compared to what I remember my ss BK cat cells being. Wish I had one to compare side by side. The Jotul website has a great video showing a standard cat and their new one. I was amazed at how easily you could see the guy's hand thru it.

Maybe @jotulguy can speak to no flame shield. I have a hunch that they aren't needed with the new ss cats, and cause too much draft restriction

Reactions: Highbeam
Why is there such a delay on these stoves? Covid? Heavy demand? Both?
It is delayed due to the finish I chose. Flat black painted stoves are in stock now and have no delay. None of the colored enameled stoves are available at the factory, so they are delayed. I ordered the blue/black enameled stove, so I wait. I’m OK with that.

Hey there woodstove fans, I did a little work on my new baby recently. Got her centered on the hearth, pipe positioned, need a few new screws. Pulled the inspection cover tonight:
20200916_183046.jpg

At @begreen 's recommendation, I applied some graphite powder to the primary air slider area.

20200916_183850.jpg
20200916_190726.jpg

And because I want easy acess to this area once the burning begins:
20200916_190718.jpg
20200916_185945.jpg
20200916_190024.jpg

This is what I was working on earlier today, surprised I had any energy to work on the Oslo afterwards, must be fall crunch season 20200916_155735.jpg
Might do a break-in fire this weekend! Have a good night and thanks for reading

I got the all clear from my town's building inspector a couple of weeks ago! Did the first break-in fire yesterday:
20201012_163131.jpg20201012_165023.jpg20201012_165353.jpg

I preheated my flue by pointing a hair dryer above the baffle (I have to retire my propane torch, no bypass to get around the cat on this stove), and my fire lit right off, fully closed load door immediately. Not bad for a 55°F day! Last pic above shows no smoke roll-out just a few minutes into the burn.

Had to throw a few small splits in to maintain 200°F for one hour:
20201012_171610.jpg

I burned a second break-in fire today. Had to leave the front load door cracked for a few because we were at 63°F outside. Still no smoke roll-out once going!
20201013_131430.jpg
20201013_135754.jpg
20201013_143844.jpg

Got up to 400°F on the stovetop with a couple of small reloads, and a final few small splits to carry the 400°F for an hour.

Next one will be 500°F, have to wait until temps drop again on Sat. So far, so good! Very impressed with this new combustor, I notice no draft restriction as compared to my Carabassett on the same flue.

I know many of us Jotul fans will be eagerly awaiting reports on the new Oslo, how well it performs and the good and the bad as the heating season progresses. Thanks for the updates.

Reactions: Sailrmike
I am hoping this will prove to be a good working solution for Jotul. They certainly haven't made this change without a lot of testing.
but put a millennial in there and she will cry.
As a father of daughters...

I am hoping this will prove to be a good working solution for Jotul. They certainly haven't made this change without a lot of testing.

As a father of daughters...

You dug up a 6 week old post for that? I don’t think my daughters are millennials, too young and they have more categories now. They may not cry tears but they might cry out some bad words!

LOL, no, just poking a little fun. My wife bristled at the comment. She handled the bypass on our Resolute fine. FWIW, the daughters comment was from today's posting on the bad sweep analysis. That's what brought it to mind.

Ah I see, sorry to bristle the wife, though I don't know if it was the girl aspect of that thread or the millenial aspect of this one. Engineers have a way of saying things too plainly and sometimes that isn't received well.

In this thread, those millenials may have never even been in a stick shift car. What's that third pedal for? Kind of like, what's that second lever for on the cat stove.

The other thread was about a contractor taking advantage of a female and we all know that this happens. Look at the bright side, that particular female was smart enough to ask for a second opinion and for verification from forum members which really shows that she was smarter than the contractor thought.

I'd like to think my girls are well rounded and I know they will get by just fine.

Wow, that is very disheartening. I hope the dealer helps you out with a replacement stove. Will you try another F500 or try something different?

We had the same black bleed from our Castine. It went away after the fire few hot fires.

I decided to return the stove to my dealer:

Wow!
I just got the news that Jotul USA can not deliver the blue black Oslo that I ordered until next year. Now I am glad.

Is that a crack in the cast iron I see in your pictures?

That’s a shame about that stove. What are your plans now? What’s next for you?