F100 log size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheIndian

Jan 11, 2018
Long Island
Hi All,

You guys have been real helpful in assisting me with stove choice. I am about to pull the plug on either an F3CB or F100.

I have read mixed experiences on log size for the F100. Is it 16inches or is it less in reality? Thought I read a review here somewhere that said the F100 can really only accept 15inch logs.

Your comments greatly appreciated!

Chris

I have the F100. A 16 inch log fits east west, but depending on how big your splits are and how many you have they can get a bit difficult to fit as the stove fills up, and in general it's better to have smaller splits. I'd rather have 15 inch splits, but most of mine are around 16 now. I can even fit a little over 16 at an angle, but not with much else in the stove.

I'd strongly encourage you to go for something other than the F100, either the F3CB, or possibly consider the F45 or something else. The F100 is beautiful, with a very nice fire view but you will quickly find yourself want something larger. If you're anything like me, once you get your mind on something, it can be hard to change that, but I'd take the F100 off your list altogether and consider adding another stove or two for your consideration. I don't know the size or layout of the space you are hoping to heat, but I have trouble imagining the F100 will give you what you want. How big is your space and what's the layout like?

One more thing to think about on log size. I had a cord of wood delivered to me that I was told was all 16" or less. While most of the pieces were in fact 16, there are definitely some (maybe one split in every 15 or so) that are longer. Depending on how you'll be getting your wood, you may find that there end up being splits longer than 16 inches from people who say it's 16. If you have a stove that take 18 inch splits, it's not a problem if you get some that are a bit bigger than 16, but with this stove it won't work out. In calling around for wood, most people either told me they had 16 or 16-18, so that seems pretty standard in my area.

I have the F100. A 16 inch log fits east west, but depending on how big your splits are and how many you have they can get a bit difficult to fit as the stove fills up, and in general it's better to have smaller splits. I'd rather have 15 inch splits, but most of mine are around 16 now. I can even fit a little over 16 at an angle, but not with much else in the stove.

I'd strongly encourage you to go for something other than the F100, either the F3CB, or possibly consider the F45 or something else. The F100 is beautiful, with a very nice fire view but you will quickly find yourself want something larger. If you're anything like me, once you get your mind on something, it can be hard to change that, but I'd take the F100 off your list altogether and consider adding another stove or two for your consideration. I don't know the size or layout of the space you are hoping to heat, but I have trouble imagining the F100 will give you what you want. How big is your space and what's the layout like?
My Opinion With and F100 Jotul and my direct experience:
I would not recommend this stove to a seasoned pro or a novice beginner woodstove person. The stove does not draft properly due to insufficient make up air. There is no way to manage inbound air draft, hence using the door is the only option when starting a fire and bringing it to full burn. The stove has very poor design flaw that i wish i had payed attention to other negative reviewers, but i wrote them off as beginners. Im a professional wood processor, ive logged, sawn and burnt for decades. Ive installed and used earth, lopi, vermont castings and fisher stoves, all without issues or ever a problem. I purchased the f 100 to fit my tiny cabin, 240 ft with lift. Was a text book install, purchased stove new from owner who never used it, was a 2016 model. Upon lighting for hours, stove would not draft unless door was open. Wrestled with it for 2 hours, searching for a make up air? Never found it. Outbound damper double and triple checked to be open= no difference. I removed abt a 15 to 20 lbs reburner plate in the upper reaches of the stove. Made as big difference, but the make up air issue was still there, just now i wasnt getting back smoked in the cabin? There was no negative draft in my cabin Pipe was brand new, gunbarrel straight. Once i played with the stove extensively, i was marginally able to achive clean burn, with parts removed. Had i purchased from dealer, i would have returned it. The literature claiming ability to heat up to 800 ft is false. Maybe 300 to 400 , once it is really going hot. I burned premium dry pine, old dense, bone dry wood. The stove was basically inoperative with the reburner plating. I heat my 1300 ft house with a fisher, never an issue. The size and glass window were the basic reasons i wanted this for our cabin. I cant speculate on other jotuls, im sure they have great stoves. The f100 is a total failure in my opinion. If this design has remained the same for years, the other reviews ,must be fake or fabricated. If anyone doubts these results, please contact me and I will share a video for you and my honest experience as a builder and installer and user of woodstoves. If you would like a slightly used f100 failure for, $900, please let me know. Thankyou.

Woodtoburn, lots of folks have burned wood well in this stove, but it need sufficient draft. What is the flue system height from stove top to chimney cap? This is straight up, with 6" pipe, right?