F600 Firelight Gasket Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Timelord83

Nov 17, 2019
Vermont
I recently purchased my parents home and it has a green F600 and its never been much of a problem child but the first few times its been run this year a full stove isn't lasting 4 hours. So after some diagnostics it was determined that it needed gaskets replaced. So I purchased a "Full" gasket set from a local dealer, and it was "Full" in the aspect that it had all the door and window seals. But it did not contain seals for the top plate and the insert piece. So I used the 3/8" round gasket material and followed the instructions but after dark on the first fire in it.. the stove was extremely hot with the air damper closed and the ash door completely shut. and I could see flame all around the top with a brand new gasket on it. So I redid the top with a 1/2" round gasket and i'm back at square one its one giant air leak the fires not controllable and despite knowing the part number on the diagram I cannot seem to locate any information in the top gasket and the top insert gasket. so any information you wonderful people might have would be amazing.

It's not too common that the lid gasket needs replacement but I think 3/8" sounds right. There are two, one for the oval and one for the top.

Did the ash pan door gasket get replaced? Have you checked for buildup behind the pan?

Also, take a bright flashlight and get an assistant. Turn off the room lights and shine the flashlight along the stove seams to look for light leaks if there are any that seam will need resealing.

It's not too common that the lid gasket needs replacement but I think 3/8" sounds right. There are two, one for the oval and one for the top.

Did the ash pan door gasket get replaced? Have you checked for buildup behind the pan?

Also, take a bright flashlight and get an assistant. Turn off the room lights and shine the flashlight along the stove seams to look for light leaks if there are any that seam will need resealing.

Any chance you could take a picture and post it of the latch area of the ash pan door? I am trying to figure out if mine is broken.

good luck finding your air leak.

Search the forum, lots of people have info about air leaks with these stoves. I just started running one as it was in the home i purchased earlier this year.

3/8" didn't seem like it was large enough and i'm at a loss seems like the top plate is warping under heat and leaking which is in turn burning hotter and warping more. I did the ash pan that's now the only seem on the damn stove not leaking. I checked with a flame while it had a fire going

Sorry, the parts list does not list the top lid gasket spec. it may be a metric size that is a little larger. There is a 7/16" stove gasket.

You might contact the folks at Preston Trading Post in CT. They sell and service Jotuls. Member @stovelark may also know.