Fabricating a chase cover/crown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I need a new chase cover. Anyone ever fabricated there own?

Get your sheetmetal, then use die-grinder, tin-snips, tape measure, and sharpie. Wear gloves. Measure and test-fit often. Make small cuts.

Or am I completely missing the intent of your thoroughly detailed inquiry? :cheese:

I think you got it!! I currently have a selkirk 8" double wall. The current cover was the same one that was there with our gas stove. It is uneven and I had a small leak last night. I need to replace and I am looking for tricks of the trade. I do know what the end product should look like. I just want it to do the job.

What is the best way to create the opening so it goes up the pipe a couple of inches? I am looking to prevent leakage. I am attaching a site. This is what I want to do.

http://www.ashbusters.net/ChaseCovers.htm

Well, you can go to a local hearth or chimney shop & buy an aluminum collar that
is pre-fabricated for chase tops, or you can make your own...
Cut a strip of whatever gage aluminum sheet you wanna use - about 3" wide
& about 2" longer (overlap) than you need for your chimney pipe...
Add something for clearance also...
Remember Pi?
3.14159... (bla-bla-blah...) make it 3.2
Pi (D) = Circumference
Let's say you have an 8" pipe & you want 2" clearance
8 + 2 + 2 = 12
12 (3.2) = 38.4 + 2 = 40.4" long
Measure in 1" & draw a line the entire 40.4" length with a sharpie..
Make a "V" notch every inch or so x 1" deep (to the sharpie line) all along the 40.4" length...
The result will be a series of tabs along that length..
Using a hand seamer or pliers. bend all the tabs at 90 degrees to the 2" length &
ALL in the same direction...
Still with me?
Roll the strip into a circle with all the tabs pointed out.
If you've already cut the hole in your chase top,
push the rolled collar up thru that hole with the tabs making contact with
the underside of the surface.
Spread the circle so it's snug to the O.D. of the hole & Zipscrew thru the 2" overlap...
Goob a copius amount of 25 - 30 Year GE Silicone on the top surface of the chase top & adjacent to the collar
& smooth it into a radius with your finger...
Add some to the inner & outer seams of the overlap & to the Zipscrew heads...
Let it dry & it should be good to go...
If you need to make the chase top itself, I can help ya there, too,
but it'll hafta wait til later...
Gotta go pick up the GF from work & get dinner...
It's Bowling Nite...
Hope this makes sense!
Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.