Facebook score and Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holzstapel

Burning Hunk
Jun 7, 2013
New Jersey
One of my old High School friends posted a photo of a pile of rounds on Facebook. I went there yesterday and filled up my truck and was only able to get about 1/4 of what he had. The photo below is the pile in his driveway and he has more behind the house. This is from Sandy and has been sitting in his driveway since then. Why he didnt post this sooner is beyond me, but I'm happy with free wood!

1150962_4744122695860_27236882_n.jpg
I split two of the rounds and I'm hoping ya'll can tell me what I have.

My guess is Cherry and Ash

IMG_20130813_183611_512.jpg IMG_20130813_183549_232.jpg

IMG_20130813_183653_095.jpg IMG_20130813_183713_978.jpg

I split these at my house after I unloaded the truck. I'm heading back today after work and every day this week until I have it all. The rounds were cut in various lengths from 12 to 24+ inches so I'll have to cut some of them down.

Thanks!

The dark flaky one looks like cherry. The other could be ash, but also looks like others too me, in my mind could be sweet gun, poplar, hickory?? Personally I can't tell.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
OK I missed the furrowed bark one inside. Not hickory swweetgum or poplar. I would vote ash. But I don't cut or see much of it around here so I'm not as good on it as some others.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Facebook is actually good for something? Great score.

Sweet find! Also looks like you found an old school buddy. NIce that you can get a cherry and ash at the same time.

Reactions: Holzstapel
Status
Not open for further replies.