Fair Price for a Splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisN

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Southeastern, Ct
So I met this very nice lady who for various reasons is getting out of the wood burning life after jumping in with both feet two years ago. I removed several oak rounds from her yard and she was kind enough to let me use her White 27 ton splitter:

http://www.whiteoutdoor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10301_15801_84866_28706_-1

If the link is accurate she paid around $1400 for it two years ago. I can tell it has been very tenderly used, (I'm pretty sure the rounds I split with it this week have been it's most vigorous workpout).

I am interested in getting it from her but don't want to either under or over price it. Does anyone have any ideas as to what a fair price would be?

Thanks, Chris

It's an MTD unit, usually selling for around $999 around here. If it is nice and new and minty, I'd consider going as far as $700 for it. $500 would be a better deal, though.

I paid $1100.00 for my 21 ton white 2007 model. i would say that $900.00 would be a nice asking price for that model. make sure the pump seals dont leak. ;-)

Yup,thats a MTD i would say 800.00 is a fair price.

Thanks for the replies, looks like $750 for an initial offer would be fair. Another question: does anyone know what kind of axle system this model has? I understand that many splitters use a wheel bearing system instead of an axle. If it is a bearing system, how do you think the unit would handle being towed to cutting sites? Generally I'm talking within 10 miles of my house and on roads where I won't be traveling over about 40mph.

Chris

The spindles are welded to the tank which is a common method. They say they can be towed up to 35 mph, but when towing at those speeds alot of stress is put on the spindle welds when bumps are encountered. Some people have reported cracked welds after towing at road speeds.

Have you ever seen a vehicle that was intended for road use that did not have some sort of suspension?

I think you're on the right track, except that $750 would be about my top end to pay for that splitter. I would start out at $500 - 600 and see where that takes you.

I also wouldn't tow it if you can help it at all. Mine has the axles welded to the tank and when I towed it home from Northern Tool it spent more time just off the ground than actually rolling along. I have to believe that as much as it bounces around it won't take long to crack those welds or the tank.

I just bought a refurbished 22 ton for 699.99 with factory warranty. Just might want to shop around

Status
Not open for further replies.