Fan in wall to go on/off with stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetsncheese

Jan 2, 2009
Southern NH
We have a Mount Vernon AE insert in our living room. It is on the manual mode and we've programmed it to go on/off during certain times/days of the week. We also have a fan http://www.accentshopping.com/product.asp?P_ID=153934 installed to help move the air. For now, we've installed a timer on the fan so that it coincides with the programming on the pellet stove. My husband is pretty handy with electrical work and wanted to possibly wire the fan to cycle on and off with the stove - perhaps wiring it to the stove somehow so when the stove goes on/off, the fan goes on/off. Does anyone have any experience they might want to share on if this can be done?

Thanks.

look up "thermocube" it is a plug in thermostat that goes in line with a fan, heater, light, or airconditioner. they make them in different temp ranges for on and off, the one you would want would be one intended for air conditioners.
I have one made to turn on a heater (or whatever) at 35* and shut it off again at 45*. They cost about $20 and for that price I don't think you could make one yourself. I got mine from amazon.com.

rowerwet said:
look up "thermocube" it is a plug in thermostat that goes in line with a fan, heater, light, or airconditioner. they make them in different temp ranges for on and off, the one you would want would be one intended for air conditioners.
I have one made to turn on a heater (or whatever) at 35* and shut it off again at 45*. They cost about $20 and for that price I don't think you could make one yourself. I got mine from amazon.com.

That's worth knowing. Those things can come in handy in all sorts of ways.

All the motors on the AE are 12VDC. You could probably splice in a relay on the circuit for the comb blower so when the relay gets power (12v DC) it closes the other half which would be wired with the hot for the fan. Then the fan would come on any time the comb blower is on.

You would pretty much void your warranty by doing this.

I have these for the space heaters and air conditioners. It has heating and cooling modes and as stated above you would set it in the cooling mode to come on when the pellet stove raises the room temp. I find them more flexible than the cubes and you can program them for weekday and weekend as well as day and night.

http://tinyurl.com/c8adeo

jtp10181 said:
All the motors on the AE are 12VDC. You could probably splice in a relay on the circuit for the comb blower so when the relay gets power (12v DC) it closes the other half which would be wired with the hot for the fan. Then the fan would come on any time the comb blower is on.

You would pretty much void your warranty by doing this.

That's almost exactly what I was looking for. The convection blower would function closer to the times I'd like the through wall fan running. This is a three wire (green/blue/white) plug for a two speed fan. I assume ground, low speed and high speed? This isn't exactly in a meter friendly location so if anyone has a wiring diagram for the control board, that would be very helpful.

Bumping this post up from a while ago - perhaps there is someone new out there who could give insight as hubby is still trying to figure out how to have the fan turn on in conjunction with the stove blower. I figured it wouldn't hurt to repost. Thanks.

I already told you how... there is not really any other way.

There is another way. All that you would need is a 120V wall t-stat, some wire and an outlet box to mount it. Stat has to have an A/C mode switch.

Wire the stat to an outlet. Set the stat on a/c mode and set temp to say 68º. Plug the fan into the outlet. Once the room reaches 68º the stat will turn on the fan.

You could set the temp anywhere you want for adjustment. Once the temp goes below the set temp it will shut off.

This is what I have moving my hot air from basement to main level. Its as close as I could get to and Automatic system.

Simple, cheap and works great.
jay

jtakeman said:
There is another way. All that you would need is a 120V wall t-stat, some wire and an outlet box to mount it. Stat has to have an A/C mode switch.

Wire the stat to an outlet. Set the stat on a/c mode and set temp to say 68º. Plug the fan into the outlet. Once the room reaches 68º the stat will turn on the fan.

You could set the temp anywhere you want for adjustment. Once the temp goes below the set temp it will shut off.

This is what I have moving my hot air from basement to main level. Its as close as I could get to and Automatic system.

jay

That's what BrotherBart's post above suggests, without the need to do any wiring. Just plug it in an outlet and plug the fan into it. Done.

Great, thanks for the reminder and suggestion about the wall t-stat; will check that out for sure!!

charles u farley said:
jtakeman said:

jay

That's what BrotherBart's post above suggests, without the need to do any wiring. Just plug it in an outlet and plug the fan into it. Done.

For under $30 that's pretty neat! Just plug into the outlet and then plug in the fan. Quick and easy.

I also did the win 100 system. It works better then when your fan kicks on...this way you will be moving warm air. I have mine wired to an extra fan i have left over from a gas fireplace i got rid of last year. it is actually between floors and the win 100 is in the same room as the pellet stove (downstairs family room). I have it set to go on right now at 71 degrees, this way it is only bringing thru the floor warm air. works extremely well!

Status
Not open for further replies.