Fan stopped working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wamorr

Oct 20, 2014
North East
We have a pellet stove that the fan will not turn on. The stove was thoroughly cleaned this spring and worked fine before the cleaning. The stove will fire and everything seems to be working fine except the fan will not kick on to circulate the heat in the house. We removed the fan from the stove and had it tested and it worked fine but will not work once attached to the stove.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advise you can give us.

I am assuming you mean a Quadra Fire Castile. Try jumping the two wires together that go from the fan to the snap disc, at the snap disc end. The stove doesn't have to be running as there is juice to this fan all the time, so be careful you don't get shocked. If the fan works, either the spade connectors need crimping for a better connection, or the snap disc is bad. kap

Yes I meant Quadra-Fire. He checked the fan today at work and it is working. The connections are tight so it looks like the problem might be the snap disc is bad. Do you recommend anyone to order parts from? I will probably have to order it online since the local dealer seems to charge 3 times as much as places I have found online. Thank you so much for your help. He was stumped.

UPDATE. We replaced the snap disc and the fan still will not turn on when the stove heats up. We have insured that the fan DOES in fact work. What is our next option?

Did you try touching the wires together to make sure? Hate to see you buy a snap disc if you don't need one. And if you need heat, you can keep it jumped together. It. Guess I didn't hit reply when I typed this. sorry

. I also tried posting to make sure it was the snap disc. Heat the disc with a lighter. You will hear it snap. Then do a continuity test. I am still betting wire connections. kap

Just double checked and it was a message I sent you about testing it. kap

We installed a new snap disc. The unit burns fine but will shut off after a period of time since the fan is not cutting on. Im not sure which wire connection you are referring to. The fan works when it's not installed on the stove and the snap disc is new. Which wire connections should be checked?

Jump the two ends together that go to the snap disc. Be careful as they are live all the time. Pull them off snap disc and touch together if you don't have a jumper wire. If you have a tester, you can see if one wire has juice going thru it also. kap

Voltage meter.Check for voltage at blower,if ok,check at snap switch,both sides.If you have 115 volts everywhere,check wiring plug to control board for burns,poor connection.Also can follow wiring from snap switch up to panel and check voltage.If the voltage is getting to the motor,going through the switch,and going to the board,you have bad board.http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/7021_155.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.