Fast wood dryer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to disappoint. I never wanted to post a pic in the first place, you know...:p It may not be purty, but it's working and it took all of an hour to make. I like simple. Simple is good. Agreed, you should get the stack off the ground. I need to find a source of pallets somewhere around here. Home Depot ships theirs off.

Not disappointed at all,
the fun & sharing that goes on here is great. I really like the idea & concept.
I've thought about how to move air thru my 5 row deep wood shed, a tarp on the sides & a simple box fan would do it.
The pic show how easy & simple it could be done. Modified to fit my set up, I think it would really help the middle rows dry better.

By disappointed I meant it in a good way:
I laughed when I saw how simple the idea would be for me to do something similar, I expected some "Rube Goldberg" set up.

That's better! Sounds like a neat idea, I'll be interested in hearing some results in a couple of weeks or so regarding the moisture content. I plan on building a woodshed down the road, and I had mentioned before about putting fans in it as well. I'm going to make the roof black and make black shutters or doors all around it to help run the temps up in there during the summer months. The fans will kick on when a temperature sensor calls for them (set at say 90 degrees or so), run in 20 minute intervals until the sensor kicks it back on. I think that would drastically speed up seasoning.....

Scotty don't you have enough wood for the next decade? Why worry about speeding up seasoning time?;)

Reactions: ScotO
Not disappointed at all,
the fun & sharing that goes on here is great. I really like the idea & concept.
I've thought about how to move air thru my 5 row deep wood shed, a tarp on the sides & a simple box fan would do it.
The pic show how easy & simple it could be done. Modified to fit my set up, I think it would really help the middle rows dry better.

By disappointed I meant it in a good way:
I laughed when I saw how simple the idea would be for me to do something similar, I expected some "Rube Goldberg" set up.
No, I knew you were being funny. I was just returning the humor. ;)

I imagine it would be difficult to get enough air through 5 rows. It really is important, though, to get that air flow channeled through as much of the stack as possible and prevent the air from just bouncing back around the fan. That's what the baffle is for, as well as the tarp around. With only one fan, you may need to move it from place to place if the stack is large. So, how about a pic of your problem stack? :)

I stacked the wood in the house with the promise that it would just be for a couple of weeks. The drying rate had started to level off at that point, anyway. I was kind of sorry to see that stack go but she was thrilled. ==c

NWS is my favorite weather site, by far. Killer radar page, and overall great resource. It was fun watching the humidity here go much lower than normal here during this dry Summer. Some days it got down around 20%, and often very breezy...unheard of. Could almost hear the wood drying. >> Here's your main page, or just type in a city or zip code:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=46.6042726&lon=-122.53178079999998&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Cinebar, WA 98533, USA

BIL is on Whidbey Island and has a Russian fireplace...
I've been using WeatherBug lately, which is fine, but the ads are really intrusive. I think I found a new one in NWS. It looks great and I love the graphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.