Fatwood vs kiln dried starter wood vs ... for a wood burner stove ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you are worried about propane torch safety just take the torch head off when not in use.

You are supposed to do that anyway, as the torch head could have a leak or if you drop it the head could bend or break and damage the cylinder

The little yellow button that makes fire has a twist to lock feature but if your kids are adventurous then you can stick the thing up in the liquor cabinet or outside in the bbq or whatever. I have two of these torches, one for each stove. They come with a MAPP gas cylinder that burns even hotter than propane.

130 logs! That’s many lifetime supplies. You only need a small chunk. Like 2 would have been plenty. I’m not sure that you’re supposed to burn whole wax logs in a stove.
130 Pres-to sawdust logs, not wax logs, so I'll be able to burn them up no problem. They just arrived last weekend , 7 weeks after Tractor Supply ordered them - was starting to think they wouldn't arrive in June. (The store workers were great, I think it was company shipping logistics.) Good thing I got them because with working from home and a broken furnace since early December, my wood supply is dwindling. (By the way, furnace repairmen are booked 2 weeks out, then there's another 2 weeks for parts, etc., etc.) With this warm weather and furnace getting fixed the day before the logs arrived, I was beginning to worry I'd be stuck storing the sawdust logs through summer. As fate had it, the furnace just broke again today - I suspect furnace replacement times are probably out into spring if I can't fix it myself this weekend.

In my garage I discovered a Benzomatic lighter, just as you described, and 2 old yellow MAPP cyclinders (MAPP orginal, not new MAPP) left by the previous owner. ( I'll take that as one more reminder that I need to clean the corners of my garage.) Tested it and the torch worked as you described. I'll keep them unthreaded when not in use, stored not in the house, and thread them outside to be safe.

By the way, after a over a month of being dependent on wood heat only, my wife was missing the wood heat once the furnace was "fixed". As for me, it was nice to have a furnace again (albeit briefly) so that starting a fire wasn't my first chore of the morning. I'd definitely consider rebuilding my hearth to fit something like a Blazeking if I were going 100% wood heat.

Reactions: Highbeam
If you are worried about propane torch safety just take the torch head off when not in use.
You are supposed to do that anyway, as the torch head could have a leak or if you drop it the head could bend or break and damage the cylinder
I leave the torch head on as its the cylinder valve that usually leaks .