Favorite Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
White and Red Oak. I find them to be the best of all worlds. When properly dried, they burn with a long, high heat and flame output, and make very good coals.

White and Red Oak. I find them to be the best of all worlds. When properly dried, they burn with a long, high heat and flame output, and make very good coals.
ALL wood is my favorite, but if I have to make a species choice I'll take PINE!
My man! I'm a lover of pine as well. We have lots that fall on our road and I am more than happy to cut, split, stack, and burn it.

Can't believe I am still burning shoulder season supply! Cherry and I do like the pine. Got a ton of Black Locust waiting for really cold weather.

The double edged sword of having many years behind us. You had the foresight, gumption, and hope to plant woodlots for the distant future, and after literally decades of work, care, and devotion, some lowly bugs may lay ruin to it. I feel for you, but looks like you are prepared to make lemonade from lemons. You have my admiration, Oldman47.
I tried to even anticipate what we are seeing today. Those 1000+/- ash were planted with a lot of red and white oak, some hickory and other hardwood species. I also planted a 2 rows border on that wood lot of Hazel nuts. I like hazel nuts. My total planting was over 5000 trees so all is not lost. Diversity was my plan for a reason.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I tried to even anticipate what we are seeing today. Those 1000+/- ash were planted with a lot of red and white oak, some hickory and other hardwood species. I also planted a 2 rows border on that wood lot of Hazel nuts. I like hazel nuts. My total planting was over 5000 trees so all is not lost. Diversity was my plan for a reason.
Diversity is a good plan! 5000 trees is a lot of work. How long did that take? Well done.

I have about two years or red oak sitting drying only have one year of drying. Can't wait to see how it does in another two to three years. Been burning maple and shag bark hickory with a little beech. Waiting for some cold to burn the three plus year old black locust.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Status
Not open for further replies.