feds banning wood stoves??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even a bit of truth to it. I havnt watched the whole thing yet but the first half is simply paranoid delusions not based in reality

I wouldn't say so much the feds but local areas are getting more strict every day.

Don't know about the US, but my friends in London can only burn coal, not wood
That may be true but it does not make that video any more true.

I wouldn't say so much the feds but local areas are getting more strict every day.

well i can see why tbh, i css to get ahead for at least a year so my wood is seasoned and dry and my neighbor right across the road has his load of logs dropped off around the beginning of october, that's what he burns this year in his outside wood boiler. On a damp cold morning that thing makes the area look like a fog bank has rolled in off the ocean. I know more than a few of my fellow neighbors have petitioned the town board about, and i honestly cant blame them. the sad thing is all it takes is one individual like this to give those of us that try to burn clean and reap the rewards from wood heat a bad name. . .

Seems like this year is right on cue, cold air has arrived so we got the first few posts of my new stove is clogged or wont make heat (due to wet wood) and now the post of the feds want to ban wood burning.
Give it a few more weeks and we'll get the guy who connects his new stove to the oil burner chimney (with the oil burner still connected) or connects a stove to single wall pipe as the whole chimney connected to the side of the house :) here come the holidays !!!

Wood is carbon neutral so if the argument is pollution they have no leg to stand on. Insurance on the other hand I could see an angle.

well i can see why tbh, i css to get ahead for at least a year so my wood is seasoned and dry and my neighbor right across the road has his load of logs dropped off around the beginning of october, that's what he burns this year in his outside wood boiler. On a damp cold morning that thing makes the area look like a fog bank has rolled in off the ocean. I know more than a few of my fellow neighbors have petitioned the town board about, and i honestly cant blame them. the sad thing is all it takes is one individual like this to give those of us that try to burn clean and reap the rewards from wood heat a bad name. . .
Well said

Carbon neutral isn't the same as the particulate matter. I love pointing out my chimney to people, and having them comment that it doesn't look like anything's burning. No smoke, no "wood smell". Exactly. One of my neighbor's chimney looks like he's trying to get the attention of a search party...

Wood is carbon neutral so if the argument is pollution they have no leg to stand on. Insurance on the other hand I could see an angle.
It is not carbon neutral at all. It is better than many other forms of heat in that respect but absolutely not carbon neutral. Even if it was carbon neutral that does not mean it does not produce pollution. That is a totally different issue.

But again this video is total bs no truth to it at all.

Reactions: Ashful
I take the carbon out of the woods, refine it in my BK Carbon Extractor, then scatter it on my garden and lawn.

Not sure if that's neutral or not, but the carbon doesn't seem to mind!

It's one small example, however, Allegheny County, pa (contains Pittsburgh) regulates outdoor burners only. They have to have stacks higher than any rooftop within 100 feet, and I think some other requirements as well. Indoor solid fuel burners just have to be installed to code.

So while there may be some push on owbs as places get more populous, indoor burners could still be fine.

I take the carbon out of the woods, refine it in my BK Carbon Extractor, then scatter it on my garden and lawn.

Not sure if that's neutral or not, but the carbon doesn't seem to mind!

My understanding is that wood releases carbon when it decomposes, either through burning or rotting. So no carbon is added to the atmosphere that wouldn't have found its way there anyway
It is not carbon neutral at all. It is better than many other forms of heat in that respect but absolutely not carbon neutral. Even if it was carbon neutral that does not mean it does not produce pollution. That is a totally different issue.

But again this video is total bs no truth to it at all.

My understanding is that the act of burning wood, in and of itself, can be carbon neutral, provided the area the tree was taken from is to remain forested. If so, new trees replace the ones burned and reabsorb the carbon. And if a tree is removed, it will release carbon when it decomposes regardless if that's via fire or rotting.

Collecting and processing firewood is what makes the process not carbon neutral.

My understanding is that the act of burning wood, in and of itself, can be carbon neutral, provided the area the tree was taken from is to remain forested. If so, new trees replace the ones burned and reabsorb the carbon. And if a tree is removed, it will release carbon when it decomposes regardless if that's via fire or rotting.

Collecting and processing firewood is what makes the process not carbon neutral.
Like I said better than most other forms of heat but not carbon neutral.

The EPA last year made its first woodstove reg change since 1988. More local areas are adopting OR and WA state regs to mitigate local or regional pollution. In some cases the local regs are much more strict and there's been some pushback, like in Utah.

Kinda splitting hairs......
No not at all. It is either carbon neutral or it is not. And the whole process of burning wood for heat in your home is not carbon neutral. I didnt say that was a good thing or a bad thing but it is a fact. And being carbon neutral does not mean it is free of pollution anyway.

Not gonna watch it,agree with begreen.Many areas of this low population state has outlawed OWB because of poor burning,and the fact most live in the valleys,with temp inversions.Really dont see this as a bad thing.

Reactions: bholler
Yes, in areas that are prone to temperature inversions that trap the gases it is a more serious issue. Unfortunately a few poor burners in a neighborhood can ruin it for everyone, especially if they burn damp wood. This is why we advocate only burning fully seasoned wood.

No not at all. It is either carbon neutral or it is not. And the whole process of burning wood for heat in your home is not carbon neutral. I didnt say that was a good thing or a bad thing but it is a fact. And being carbon neutral does not mean it is free of pollution anyway.
If you use no power tools then it would be carbon neutral?

If you use no power tools then it would be carbon neutral?
Some say yes some say no. I think it would be close enough to neutral for me to call it that.

Status
Not open for further replies.