Banning wood burning stoves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This has attempted happen for several elections now. I also wish to know what Bill and if Fed or State. It wouldn't surprise to be snuck into another bill.. It's not beyond thought what this Admin would try to regulate the air we breathe.. like they had some power over it..

I own a re-burn (some call down-draft) stove. Properly run, one of the cleanest out there! It would be banned by the last bill (years back) I saw attempted in NH. That fell flat and I have not seen it attempted again.

This has attempted happen for several elections now. I also wish to know what Bill and if Fed or State. It wouldn't surprise to be snuck into another bill.. It's not beyond thought what this Admin would try to regulate the air we breathe.. like they had some power over it..

I own a re-burn (some call down-draft) stove. Properly run, one of the cleanest out there! It would be banned by the last bill (years back) I saw attempted in NH. That fell flat and I have not seen it attempted again.
There have have been very few bills introduced anywhere that would ban wood stoves and none of them ever got any traction. People have been saying "they" are going to ban woodstoves for decades now and nothing has ever happened. It's honestly just nonsense.

And no the current federal administration has absolutely no interest in banning wood stoves just as none of the previous ones have.

Btw downdrafts are a specific type of reburn stove that yes can burn very clean but are also pretty temperamental which is why only one company is still doing them

Reactions: Woody Stover
Not sure which stove is being referred to. If the Shelburne, that's not a downdraft stove.

You mention NYC. I recall how dirty / smog NYC was in the early 70's. All the building burned garbage. they banned that and they started garbage compactors. City owned building still burned. I know there's some old fireplaces in some of those park ave buildings still getting wood delivered. Is it legal, I don't think so .

I recall a small town here in north east PA was talking about banning burning in the town. But wood burning is big here.

There are lots of cities that ban fireplaces and stoves. Old ones are generally grandfathered in but you can't repair anything.

There are lots of cities that ban fireplaces and stoves. Old ones are generally grandfathered in but you can't repair anything.
Not allot really. Really only a few

You mention NYC. I recall how dirty / smog NYC was in the early 70's. All the building burned garbage. they banned that and they started garbage compactors. City owned building still burned. I know there's some old fireplaces in some of those park ave buildings still getting wood delivered. Is it legal, I don't think so .

I recall a small town here in north east PA was talking about banning burning in the town. But wood burning is big here.
Wood burning is still absolutely legal in NYC

It sounds like there are several states that won't let you sell a house (or buy a house) until a pre-epa stove is removed. I know it is this way in Oregon. It sounds like a good idea to me. I bet someone from another state could get a good deal on a pre-epa stove in one of these states. They probably give them away since they can't be used.
https://realestateagentpdx.com/wood-stove-removal-in-oregon/16465

It sounds like there are several states that won't let you sell a house (or buy a house) until a pre-epa stove is removed. I know it is this way in Oregon. It sounds like a good idea to me. I bet someone from another state could get a good deal on a pre-epa stove in one of these states. They probably give them away since they can't be used.
https://realestateagentpdx.com/wood-stove-removal-in-oregon/16465
Honestly the vast majority of pre epa stoves I see sell go for scrap value