Figured out my thermostat issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
I've had my GCI60 for a total of 8 days today. We've been running it in manual mode to get a feel for how the stove works. This morning, I wired up the very basic Lux t-stat that came with the stove. This t-stat makes a vintage dial Honeywell look high tech; it's a very simple/basic unit.

Thankfully, the stove is close to a bookcase which is right near our boiler room. I was able to drill a small hole, run the wire and mount the t-stat. No fishing wire; just some low voltage tacks and a long drill bit.

Everything went fine until a few hours post wiring up the t-stat. Like I said, this thing is simple. Simple as in two wires, doesn't matter what terminal you mount to simple. I switched the stove to High/low mode and the stove stayed on low....for hours. Until the oil burner kicked on. Ummmm, wut?

I tried connecting one terminal to the other. No dice. Stove still stayed on low. Maybe I need to run the stove off,flip it out of manual, and then turn it back on? The ol reboot! Nah, I better check the wiring.

So I shut the stove down, pulled it out of the fireplace and examined the wiring. Attached pic is what I saw. Unmentionables were uttered. The installer had cut off the spade connectors and loosely wrapped the t-stat wires to the stove wires..and connected with friggin electrical tape! To add insult to injury, he didn't leave enough slack in the wire. So when the stove was seated back, the wires pulled apart.

So long story short, I was able to add enough slack to the wire. Mind you, after I had neatly tacked everything in a room no one goes into..... And get things buttoned up so the wires would stay put.

We are now sitting downstairs and the stove has hit the t-stat set point and self throttled down to low. Just waiting to see if it kicks back up when it calls for heat again..stay tuned.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416703230.370348.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416703244.167466.jpg

Sounds like you figured it out. Skytech makes some nice wireless t stats. Receiver pkugs into the stove and yoy can put the tstat wherever you want (within reason)

That's good to know. I'll have to check those out. I'm currently looking into wiring up a wifi stat.

Theres some good information on doing that if you haven't already found it. I have them for my oil boiler and they work great

They are awesome. I have one on the boiler and it controls the central air in the warmer months. Love adjusting the temp from pretty much any device.

Status
Not open for further replies.