final drying of rain-soaked wood indoors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

twd000

Feeling the Heat
Aug 28, 2015
Southern New Hampshire
The wood I'm burning this year is 2 years old, stacked off the ground on frame racks, and top-covered with synthetic roofing underlayment. Like most of you in the Northeast, we have experienced 3+ months of well above average rainfall. I noticed some low spots in my tarps were letting water pool and drip on the splits. When I started burning this year, it was taking forever to light off the catalyst. Hot reloads are less problematic as the coals burn off some of the surface moisture.

I have moved one cord onto our covered screened porch, but now that it is below freezing most days, I don't expect much further drying.

As a highly un-scientific experiment, I brought in half a dozen "heavy and wet" splits and set them by the stove for 4 days. Red oak and white birch. I weighted them when I brought them in and wrote the values in marker. After four days, I weighed them again, re-split them and measured moisture content.

Start Weight (lbs)********End Weight (lbs)*******Weight Loss (%)******Moisture Content (%)***********
5.45***********************5.37***********************1.5***********************16
3.56***********************3.36***********************5.6***********************17
4.77***********************4.53***********************5*************************18
6.37***********************6.22***********************2*************************16
2.03***********************1.75***********************14************************20
4.7*********************** *4.61***********************2*************************16

As expected, the smaller splits (more surface area) lost more moisture than large splits, but overall I was happy with 3-5% reduction in moisture content just by pre-staging my wood in the stove room for half a week.

While I was re-splitting, I grabbed a couple outdoor splits that still felt wet, and measured 22-23% MC.

I'm considering building a couple tall racks out of iron pipe and staging 3-4 days worth of wood in each one. That way I would be burning wood that has had 4-8 days in the stove room, potential reducing MC by 5% percent from its initial value. Any reason not to do this? Any risk of a 15% split getting "too dry" at 10%?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I usually keep my on hand wood under my stairs in the basement. I can keep a pretty good amount under there without it being in the way of the main basement. Because I pull from this area, my wood is usually completely dry of any surface moisture. When I replenish the pile I ususally bring about 2 reloads worth up in a metal tote and set them next to the stove to come up to temp and dry any surface moisture.

I usually keep my on hand wood under my stairs in the basement. I can keep a pretty good amount under there without it being in the way of the main basement. Because I pull from this area, my wood is usually completely dry of any surface moisture. When I replenish the pile I ususally bring about 2 reloads worth up in a metal tote and set them next to the stove to come up to temp and dry any surface moisture.

So how many days has the wood been indoors before you burn it? Have you ever measured moisture content before and after?

Some of my splits have 'just' surface moisture, but others are soaked through enough that they feel noticably heavy

The wood I'm burning this year is 2 years old, stacked off the ground on frame racks, and top-covered with synthetic roofing underlayment. Like most of you in the Northeast, we have experienced 3+ months of well above average rainfall. I noticed some low spots in my tarps were letting water pool and drip on the splits. When I started burning this year, it was taking forever to light off the catalyst. Hot reloads are less problematic as the coals burn off some of the surface moisture.

I have moved one cord onto our covered screened porch, but now that it is below freezing most days, I don't expect much further drying.

As a highly un-scientific experiment, I brought in half a dozen "heavy and wet" splits and set them by the stove for 4 days. Red oak and white birch. I weighted them when I brought them in and wrote the values in marker. After four days, I weighed them again, re-split them and measured moisture content.

Start Weight (lbs)********End Weight (lbs)*******Weight Loss (%)******Moisture Content (%)***********
5.45***********************5.37***********************1.5***********************16
3.56***********************3.36***********************5.6***********************17
4.77***********************4.53***********************5*************************18
6.37***********************6.22***********************2*************************16
2.03***********************1.75***********************14************************20
4.7*********************** *4.61***********************2*************************16

As expected, the smaller splits (more surface area) lost more moisture than large splits, but overall I was happy with 3-5% reduction in moisture content just by pre-staging my wood in the stove room for half a week.

While I was re-splitting, I grabbed a couple outdoor splits that still felt wet, and measured 22-23% MC.

I'm considering building a couple tall racks out of iron pipe and staging 3-4 days worth of wood in each one. That way I would be burning wood that has had 4-8 days in the stove room, potential reducing MC by 5% percent from its initial value. Any reason not to do this? Any risk of a 15% split getting "too dry" at 10%?

Interesting scientific experiment.

Not being a scientist, I might consider building some kind of support to keep the rain off your stacks of wood next year.

\Personally, I'm lucky enough to have some fairly wide eves, which allows for firewood to be stacked under cover from the rain, although it would help make a GLORIOUS housefire if it ever got started!

Your indoor wood stack sounds like it would be worth a try. Sorry to hear about your difficulties!

Interesting scientific experiment.

Not being a scientist, I might consider building some kind of support to keep the rain off your stacks of wood next year.

\Personally, I'm lucky enough to have some fairly wide eves, which allows for firewood to be stacked under cover from the rain, although it would help make a GLORIOUS housefire if it ever got started!

Your indoor wood stack sounds like it would be worth a try. Sorry to hear about your difficulties!

Does that mean your wood is stacked against your house?