Final oil delivery of 2013

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug MacIVER

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2012
se mass
this years total oil consumption was 630 gallons. sounds like a lot but considering prior to 2005 we used on average 1300 gallons/year. in 2005 we put in a jotul f100 to help the heat. wish we could have gone bigger, but that is another story. between oil, canawick bricks, and cordwood we still spent almost $3200.00 to heat a 4,000 sq. ft. house that has a 1500 sq. ft. in-law (which takes most of the oil, separate zoning and no stove).that all together put about $1650.00 in our pockets. what I like is over 8 years 5000 gals. + not burned @ this year's price of 3.40, that's a cool $ 17,000.00. that buys a lot of bricks and splits. have a day folks

1,700 sq ft Split Level Ranch....including H/W....129 gallons burned this year, and the Wife likes the house between 70-80*F....lovin' that woodstove

1,700 sq ft Split Level Ranch....including H/W....129 gallons burned this year, and the Wife likes the house between 70-80*F....lovin' that woodstove
can only dream about using that little. 140 gals. from 5/28- 11/9. mostly hot water but a little heat for mom in-law oct. to present. historically we use about 100-120 gals/ month in the dead of winter. only one year we were able to get it under 600 gallons (565), always a goal in this house. speaking of cold I guess here in New England the cold makes a visit for a few days, tues.- wed. highs may not reach 40* in southeast Mass.

Last edited:
We went from about $3000 in annual heating costs in 2005 with propane at about $1.90/gal. and climbing rapidly back then, to about $150-$500 now, depending on how much wood I scrounge or not. The last couple years have been good scrounging years so it's only the cost of running the heat pump (which is quite small) and the splitter. Since installing, the local cost of propane went up to as high as $3.46 per gallon for about 5 years. So I figure the T6 and insulation costs have been paid for many times over with an average $3000+ savings a year since 2006. And we are much more comfortable. These savings helped us pay off the mortgage early.

Last edited:
The first year i went to solid fuel from oil i trimmed my heat bill from around $4000 to $480. Oil is a bit cheaper now but savings are still big,and house is much warmer.
And wife is much happier.

Reactions: Beer Belly
We went from about $3000 in annual heating costs in 2005 with propane at about $1.90/gal. and climbing rapidly back then, to about $150-$500 now, depending on how much wood I scrounge or not. The last couple years have been good scrounging years so it's only the cost of running the heat pump (which is quite small) and the splitter. Since installing, the local cost of propane went up to as high as $3.46 per gallon for about 5 years. So I figure the T6 and insulation costs have been paid for many times over with an average $3000+ savings a year since 2006. And we are much more comfortable. These savings helped us pay off the mortgage early.
multiply that number by the number of members of this site. just a fraction of the numbers of people burn wood, pellets, coal, corn, pallets, ect. in this country alone. how many millions of gallons of petro products not used and how many dollars in consumer 's pockets. have a day

That is why I have been saying for years that if we want to become energy independent the answer is not another well or pipeline. It is conservation. This is totally doable.

That is why I have been saying for years that if we want to become energy independent the answer is not another well or pipeline. It is conservation. This is totally doable.
see even a moderate agrees with you, one of the best examples there is out there today

and has been since the 70's energy crisis when I fist heated with wood. used a jotul 602 and a (can't remember coal stove), which used w.va. anthracite . what great heat!

Last edited:
+100 The largest possible new oil source today is conservation. No new deposits found can equal the amount that can be made available by conservation. I hate to say it, but oil is too cheap now. The price must go up if we are to be able to find alternative methods in time for the real downward curve in production. All the wild price swings do is tank the economy.

Before stove (2008) 954 gallons of oil in a 2 story colonial (2000 sq ft). Furnace is 2 zone heat with internal hot water tank.

After stove install, much better. 2012/2013 heating season, Oil - 218 gallons of oil and a whole lot warming 24 hrs a day as opposed to cycling the thermostat.

Delta - 736 gallons at $3.62/gal = $2,664.32 - wood cost ($540) = $2,124.32 annual savings

Stove investment was paid off in less than three years as the price of oil was a little higher back then and the government rebate of 30% ($1,334) back to me.

Ask me if I would do this again, absolutly.

Indeed. From 1350 gallons of Heating Oil in 2006 ramped down to 0 gallons in 2013. Made up with 100% Wind Power. From freezing at $5000/year to toasty at $1100/year.

Totally doable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.