Finally Ahead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JSeery

Feeling the Heat
Feb 12, 2015
Irvington, NY
Well, I've had my 17/18 stack done for quite a while but I just finished my 18/19 stack as well. Does this mean I'm two years ahead or just one year ahead?

Either way, it feels good. I think this is about all I'm going to get ahead given space restraints but I'm really looking forward to just processing one year of firewood each year going forward (I figure I use about 2.5 cords each winter, give or take).

Pics below. The first two are the 17/18 stacks. Mostly soft maple with some red oak and other woods sprinkled in there.

The third pic is the two "sheds" for 18/19. This is mostly sugar maple and black birch, with lesser amounts of oak, locust, beech, mulberry, cherry, etc.
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG

So you are actually one year ahead. You dont count the wood that your burning this year. I am sitting on 12 cords. I burn 3 cords per season so i am actually 3 years out i am good untill 20/21
If feels goot to be ahead. I bust my a$$ this past year splitting ,stacking but now i am far ahead. I get to choose my wood and get to be selective with the wood i take. I actually have about six cords in log lenth all oak ready to be cut in rounds and start splitting again in november

Nice setup with the blocks and poles. Get greedy and keep 'er going!

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
very nice. I think now I am 6 years ahead... a far cry from where I was last winter when i wanted to pay someone to come buck and split it all for me! The last 2 years we have been just over 2 cord into the stove, but it was tough to gauge since we didn't really have a ton of good burning wood. I am all set up for this winter:

rVh5u7K6jk177BSZQu3FrunzjKrvT-ndybMdxOrx4xOsQQ_g_NYeZfezoQP6kxXHwrbD1ZkcAMrs5WtsTIA=w736-h552-no.jpg

I need to finish stacking the rest of the stuff, since I just spent a few hours with the splitter, and added 2/3 cord of mixed fruit trees, 2 cord of elm, and a little more than 1/2 cord of l boxelder and aspen.... this picture was also taken before everything turned brown and crusty :)

nOtr4-g11q49Ip2hIEkkoV0F_RFx_mjTuPhoGP0HaBUqfjjK9eCZpyn7qEwiucrLA_LLkoJY0hi0HsOOV2w=w736-h552-no.jpg

Bish,
Nice job gettin' bizzy !!

Seery,
Same here in the beginning. Got the stove installed in mid winter and
we were scrounging and splitting to stay a few days to weeks ahead.
ALL last year I collected, split, and kept collecting. I have currently
2-3 years on site and hardly touched the splitter or axe this year. Took a very
nice 6 month break from the wood game.

Just got back going July 1st with doing the stove and chimney cleanup and resealing,
and the splitter and axe are in motion again since mama has mentioned the groups of
rounds laying around from "opportunity knocks" scavenging runs. We don't need wood here
anytime soon as there's about 6 years worth permissioned for me to grab at any time.
Much of this is drops from the two tree companies working for AEP, and I meandered along
under the power lines running thru the woods and got much of it into stacks off the ground.
No one can even see this stuff from the roads and it comes home when convenient or when
the mood strikes. It's cool to be so far ahead following our 2nd season on wood that like many
of you also only take prime wood now. I don't even bring anything home with knots or punk.
If necessary I will take anything but there's more available than we'll ever burn at this rate that
the tree guys are lopping stuff off. An even bigger bonus is the tree crew did our property
recently and dropped about 2C in the side woods. They run the wires straight thru the forest
as well as following the roads in this area.

Reactions: JSeery