Finally, an Eplane!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AlbergSteve

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2017
n
Reactions: SpaceBus
I wonder why they chose a float plane? There's so much more drag they need to overcome. The electric motor has the power, but it'll certainly hurt the range.

I wonder why they chose a float plane? There's so much more drag they need to overcome. The electric motor has the power, but it'll certainly hurt the range.
Probably for logistical reasons where this particular plane will spend most of its time. Short range small aircraft in the Pacific northwest seem to all be water landing units.

Their whole fleet of 40 aircraft is on floats. A little more in depth article here on their plans.

Fun fact - their new terminal in Victoria was the last project I worked on before leaving construction 3 years ago.
IMAG2283.jpgIMAG2853.jpg

This is the crew trying for a salmon after a 26 hour tow to Victoria.

IMAG2842.jpgIMAG2832.jpg

Reactions: begreen
Cool! Thanks for posting. That could be fun.

First flight limited to 3 minutes. That was the length of the extension cord. :cool:

Reactions: AlbergSteve
First flight limited to 3 minutes. That was the length of the extension cord. :cool:

I laughed. maybe they can hold onto the extension cord and have the plane circle them like those Cox planes we had in the 1960s.

i used to compete in the AMA with those control line planes , combat and stunt divsions. combat was exciting two planes with streamers on tails idea was to clip the other persons streamer off with out destroying each other. classes were by engine size. there was also a scale model division. these all flew, there was a radio control division as well but I could not afford that. been out of it long time . My stunt plane was a 36" wing span with a 4 stroke Conquistador .60 ci engine on it. not a 2 stroke diesel/ glow plug unit it was spark plug fired by magneto. ( showing age here)

Neat!

I went to a model jet rally two years in a row almost 10 years ago. Never knew there were radio-controlled model jets. They were really neat!

Attachments

• 033 - Copy.JPG
    033 - Copy.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 131